free website stats program Disappearing air filter | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Disappearing air filter

I may be out in left field but this looks like the filter on my 56 Ford when it was coughing back through the carb. A backfire through the carb will look just like that. I also have an old Triumph that will backfire through the carb and blow out the packing in the filter. Do you decellerate at high rpm's? Does it ever backfire between shifts? If so have your dealer check it out.

I've never heard the bike backfire, and have only decelerated a couple times at high RPM's, but that was only by accident not realizing what gear i was in.
Thanks for the info, and will pay attention more to the sounds of the bike, and i'll keep an eye on the new filter on a weekly bases, just in case there is a problem.

I may be out in left field but this looks like the filter on my 56 Ford when it was coughing back through the carb. A backfire through the carb will look just like that. I also have an old Triumph that will backfire through the carb and blow out the packing in the filter. Do you decellerate at high rpm's? Does it ever backfire between shifts? If so have your dealer check it out.

on a side note, i thought about it and still have the filter, so i tried to burn a hole in it from the inside with those long stick matches to simulate a backfire, this stuff would not even burn, i went thru 4 or 5 matches and nothing, not even a black mark. so i don't think it was because of backfire.
i think it might be what Glider said, just a defect.

Pleated paper air cleaner elements are SUPPOSED to be treated to not burn "like paper", I believe it is a safety requirement, kinda "unspoken" but a requirement nonetheless, otherwise a flammable air cleaner would cause serious liability concerns for a manufacturer...

Back