Directional Indicator Lamps

Discussion in 'Other Service and Maintenance' started by Crusty92, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Crusty92

Crusty92 New Member

I recently purchased my first HD, a 1992 FXR. The directional indicators are located on the headlight eyebrow along with a neutral and oil lamp.The turn signals work properly but the eyebrow indicators don't. With the push on / push off signal switches it's a distraction figuring out if you left them on. My question is do I need to remove the eyebrow/headlamp assembly to check them or do they pull straight out from the eyebrow mount? I was told that those lamps are one piece and it would seem reasonable that they pull straight out, but I tried it with a little pressure but no go. The service manual doesn't address it. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

The '92 turn signals were self canceling, depending on distance traveled. I have a '92 Dyna, and my service manual shows part # for two signal indicator bulbs. I've never had a problem with mine, but would guess the eyebrow needs to be removed to get at the bulbs. If your signals do not cancel, there is either a problem with the reed switch that counts distance, or it may have the wrong turn signal bulbs which throw off the load to the module.

3. Crusty92

Crusty92 New Member

Hey Pete. Right on both counts. They Are self cancelling and I did need to remove the eyebrow to replace the lamps. It was interesting that they come as a single contained unit; lens,bulb & holder, and wires. I needed to cut out the old bulb assemblies and solder in the new ones. A bit of a pain, but all in all not so bad.