free website stats program Ding repair | Harley Davidson Forums

Ding repair

Merlynn

If this has been covered elsewhere please point me in the right direction. I was putting air in the tyre of my bicycle in the garage and somehow and stupidly dropped the bike on my new Ultra. It left a small ding the size of a pea on the front fender but didn't break the paint. I'm sick about this. I don't know if this makes sense to you but I can't live with this, I have to fix it. If it was a dent from honorable road riding with perhaps a story to tell I could live with it. Instead everytime I see it, it appears as big as a house and a monument to my clumsiness and stupidity. So, my question is, what should it cost to repair and should I let the dealer handle it or go to a local quality shop? The bike is only 1 month old and it's not even 2009 yet!

Last edited:
Thanks Hobbit, it's on the fender and the paint isn't broken. A friend recommended a local shop and I'm going to give them a call.

If the dent repair process doesn't work, you may be better off just ordering a new factory painted unit than having it repaired. The cost of repairs may be close to a new one anyway and it wouldn't be factory paint which to me means a lot.

PDR ( paintless dent removal ) I've had it done on my truck couldn't tell there was any damage your fender is thicker than a door or quater panal but it's worth a try good luck.

We just had some very small hail dents on our new Honda Civic repaired using the Paintless Dent Removal technique.It cost us about $400 for maybe 20 or sites,and i cannot tell where they were!Seriously,it's that good.

I'd recommend it for your damage.

Can not remember where online I read this but the article suggested
heating smalldents with a hair dryer then holding dry ice on the
area. Supposedly the dent pops out with no paint damage. I am sure this
was on a detailing site but am unsure which one- will lookand get back
if I can provide a link.
Unk

If the dent repair process doesn't work, you may be better off just ordering a new factory painted unit than having it repaired. The cost of repairs may be close to a new one anyway and it wouldn't be factory paint which to me means a lot.

Glide,,,Is it common to get "factory paint" units for these bikes, I had no idea that that was an option when needed.

If you decide to try the PDR method on your fender, we will be interested to hear how it worked out for this application....and for future reference.

Back