free website stats program Dilemma | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Dilemma

To me unless you sit in stand still traffic alot or live in the deep south and your oil temp isn't over 265 degrees you DON'T need a oil cooler. Thick oil is alot harder on the oil pump and the rest of the engine than warm thinner oil. Think about trying to push 50 wt oil through a paper filter vs 20 wt oil through the same paper filter. If the oil cooler has a thermostat to let the oil warmup before it starts going to the cooler to keep the oil at or about 220 to 245 degrees is the only way I would run a oil cooler. And when you change the oil, you don't have all that oil left in the cooler. JMO

Depends on where the gift certificate is good for.
But I think a Gen 3 or 4 TFI from Dobeck would be a great way to spend it. An oil cooler's nice but I'd look into one with a fan.
LED lights would be great...

Oh, just flip a coin.

You need to do a cost analsys of what needs to be done, for instance bulb blows cost of new bulb (standard h4 bulb) $35 bucks, new crank bearing due to overheating $3000 bucks in parts and labor.
I say go for the oil cooler with built in fan.
But hey that's just me...you do what you think should be done?

Be safe and have a great New Year!!!

I agree with Tank. I too live in Phoenix and have an 02 FLHTC with 85K miles and no oil cooler. I'd go with the lights for more visibility.

Me personally I'd be all over the headlight, That's the kind of dilemnas I like though!!:bigsmiley12:

Lights, how many times have we all heard I just did not see that motorcycle officer:s

Hey, thanks for all the input looks like lights the answer, guess the next decision will be the new headlight or exteriorly lights.:majesty

Hey, thanks for all the input looks like lights the answer, guess the next decision will be the new headlight or exteriorly lights.:majesty

Just my opinion - more lights is better than improving a single light.

Hmmm. I think the oil cooler. I know what everyone says about "not needing it" but if you read back about the original design for the twin cam engine, they wanted to put an oil cooler on then from the factory? The sales group said no because it looked like a radiator (which technically it is) and that people wouldn't buy them? So they had to re-engineer to work around it. That's when they added the piston cooling jets. So....they already knew the engine was "too" hot when it was still on the drawing board. Then you add big bore kits etc (more power /more heat).And I live in Canada. No where near as hot as Phoenix. I did notice during our long trip through USA last year that I had virtually no pinging even when running through the desert and climbing steep hills with the oil cooler on. Diff story the year before? so... I that's my two cents. :D

how about a mud flap to keep the road grit out of the stock oil cooler. better than laying on your side & picking rocks out of the oil cooler.

Back