free website stats program Digital Gear Indicator | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Digital Gear Indicator

Many racing cars do have buzzers to alert to a serious condition. The gauges are meant to monitor only.

If you want an Oil pressure gauge the most economical and very functional one (that I found) is the kit put out by Jerzee Customs (do a google search). I have one on my bike now for sometime. It's got a Russell braided oil line going to a rocker mounted gauge (just inside your right thigh). It provides a tee fitting that still utilizes the oil pressure warning light which although it's not a buzzer I still like that facet. It's a mechanical gauge (sends oil directly to gauge unit) but has liquid filled display to damper vibration.

I tend to check my console every now and again. I will only check the oil pressure gauge at startup and maybe while at a traffic light. But the gauge can give you early warnings of an oil pump problems before it becomes dire.

I already have an oil pressure gauge on Betty. I was holding off on Spinner until this winter when the oil cooler goes on. Depending on placement, price, and how mad my wife is over Harley invoices, the oil pressure gauge installation might remain fluid. I don't even know what I need, want or can afford at this stage.

(And that 'wife issue' is no joke. I'm wondering if Betty is the big bike I need now in this stage of my life. And things are going great now that my wife has retired and I'm not sure mentioning "get a new Harley" is in the best interests of domestic tranquility.)

The new Softails (& maybe Dynas?) have this built into the odometer readout.

But it's done the same way as the current 6th speed light. The clutch must be engaged with the bike rolling for the display to read what gear your in.

It is of no use if tires are not turning, your sitting at light or the clutch lever is pulled in.

That's an odd set of protocols.

There has been a few times when I have seen some bizarre movements in an intersection and I start braking early to stay way behind.

A few times my bike was in third gear with the clutch lever engaged. Lousy technique, I admit, but I've learned that cagers invent new ways to kill me and it's best to not be around during "field testing."

Of course, when I let the clutch out, Betty says, "No way, you idiot," and stops.

Would be nice to have a bit of warning. Of course, such a device for me would indeed be 'an idiot light...':D

If it would work with the clutch pulled in I might consider it, I don't know how many times I go on a green light only to find myself in second or third.

If it would work with the clutch pulled in I might consider it, I don't know how many times I go on a green light only to find myself in second or third.
I ALWAYS down shift all the way to the bottom at stops, if for no other reason than to provide for escapes (left foot on the ground, right foot on brake, clutch engaged, right hand on the throttle, and bars cocked just enough to see directly behind me). That generally prevents wrong gear startups for me.

Enjoy,
Rich P

One of the first things that you are taught in the MSF beginners course is to downshift as you come to a stop all the way to first gear. This course will also let you see what other habits you have and how to correct them. I highly recommend the safety course.

Something I picked up years ago from being a pilot, I check dead ahead 12 o'clock, over to 3 o'clock right mirror, across the speedo/tack/oil /amps, over to the 9 o'clock mirror and back to 12, after you do this enough in a regular scan pattern, the things that don't look right catch your eye in a heartbeat. Just take a second to do. And except for the mirrors in heavy traffic it's a quicker scan.

Back