free website stats program Different brand tires on front and rear | Harley Davidson Forums

Different brand tires on front and rear

tommie2tone

Is it safe to run different brand tires on front and rear? I have Metzeler 880's on front and rear now, the rear is ready to change and the front still has plenty of tread. I was thinking about going to a Pirelli MT66 Route Cruiser rear tire (150-80-16) and leave the front Metzeler until it wears out. Also I had a question about the load index, the Metzeler rear tire is a 150-80-16B (reinforced with a load rating of 77) and the Pirelli has a load rating of 71, should I stick with the Metzeler because of the higher weight capacity? I am 6'1 and 280lbs and the wife is 100lbs soaking wet. I am riding a 2009 Heritage. Let me know your opinions on both these questions. Thanks All :cheers

If you check the tire manufacturers web pages, you will see that it isn't recommended to mix different brands of tires. I would stick with the same tire you have mounted now until you can replace both tires if you want to change brands.

In short yes.... But is it worth enduring a sacrificed ride quality and handling. I rode with 2 different manufactured tires on my bike once 18 years ago and will never purposely do it again. Bad news. A shoe example would be a Nike on the left foot and a Reebok on the right foot. Now go running and see how it works.....:s
As to load rating never go less than MOCO recommends...

I run them alot different brands front and rear. Never had an issue. the harley right now has same front n rear cause thats how it came. the rear is about to be replaced, and go tubeless. the front will do same when it neds replaced next year. I think you will be hard pressed to honestly see a difference in ride with mismatched tires. we do it on sportbikes all the time, if handling was an issue i believe it would show up on those for sure.

If you do a search on the internet about mixing tire brands, most will advise not to mix brands for a number of reasons such as the compound of the rubber causing different handling characteristics and adhesion in wet weather above all else.

Many have done it but the general rule is to keep the same brand on both ends of the bike.

The problem is when you get into that situation that none of us want to be in and hit the binders or try an emergency maneuver, then you'll understand the difference.:s

Aside from that scenario, you can "get away with" mixing tire brands but not for me.

the exact reason why we mix brands on sportbikes. better straight line acceleration grip on rear, and soft sticky compound on front. out of all the bikes in the shop, i think maybe two, three at most have same brand front and rear. pretty sure one of those is same brand but different model.
but to each his own. my experience riding the wheels off everything i own says it will be fine. doubtful many people ever ride a bike to the end of the bikes ability, especially not on the hwy.

Try what Glider said. Go to any manufacture web site and you will soon see that none of them recommend mixing their tire with any other brand. Most don't even recommend mixing different style tires in their own brand. I know it seems wasteful but change both tires at the same time and you will never regret it. With such a small contact patch between us an the road do you really want to take the chance????

Good info to know. I am about to order a new rear for my 04 Heritage. Guess I will go with the 'lop 401.

BTW, I think I will order online and have a local indy put it on. Total price with tire, removal from rear, mount, balance, tube, rim strap, etc...reinstalled on scoot. $202

Back