free website stats program Difference 2006 to 2008 Street Glide? | Harley Davidson Forums

Difference 2006 to 2008 Street Glide?

Skeet7373

Newbie to this site, just wanted to ask the experts. Is there a difference in the 2006 to 2008 Street Glides? I have an opportunity to purchase a 06 with about 3,000 miles. And then there is a dressed out 08 on craigslist in my state. Both same color, but the 08 has wheels, pipes, etc where the 06 is bone stock.

Skeet

The 08 would be the 96 engine and 6 speed trans the 06 would be the 88 engine with 5 speed, still a nice bike without the noisy transmissions.

This is just my opinion and I am sure some will disagree vehemently. I just picked up an 04 RG with only 3,000 miles on it. I have been hunting for just the right deal on an RG, no newer than an 06, for the last year. I just did not want to bump up to the TC96 with all the heat issues and I don't feel I need a six speed. (Edit), I remember ridng 4 speeds.
Anyway, just my 2 cents.

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
I've only had experience with 07-09 HD's, with the six speed transmission and the 96 stock engine. I let a buddy ride my bike last weekend so he could try my Clearview windshield. He has a 09 Ultra as well.

But when we swapped he was riding his 05 Heritage, which rode wonderfully. The only thing to me was in fifth gear, it seemed like I needed one more. Another was at 65 mph there was very little throttle left. I missed the power of the 07 and later 96 cu engines.

I'm not knocking the earlier model bikes at all since the Heritage was a smooth ride. These are just my observations, I am sure that you will love the 06, should you by it.

:USA

Can't tell you the difference in the 06 over the 08 Street Glides, but I had a 06 Ultra and now have a 09 Street Glide. The engine has more power, and the 6 speed is not as quiet. But don't we usually replace stock pipes with loud one's. I loved my Ultra, but I don't miss the extra weight. Now I have a new love, and she is quite a bit quicker!!!

My HD salesman teels me that on the new Ultras. If you roll the throttle forward it shuts down the rear cylinder. The engine doesn't sound any different. it just keeps it cooler if your sitting at idle in traffic on a hot day. I wonder if any of the other models do that? The heat issues on the newer 96's can be overcome easily with a a liittle more fuel. A power box or flash. It's the lean condition because of emmisions that cause the problems. The six speed is nice if your on the Hwy and doing 65 or more.

My HD salesman teels me that on the new Ultras. If you roll the throttle forward it shuts down the rear cylinder. The engine doesn't sound any different. it just keeps it cooler if your sitting at idle in traffic on a hot day. I wonder if any of the other models do that? The heat issues on the newer 96's can be overcome easily with a a liittle more fuel. A power box or flash. It's the lean condition because of emmisions that cause the problems. The six speed is nice if your on the Hwy and doing 65 or more.

FWIW
Couple of corrections here...

Rolling the throttle DISengages the heat function of shutting down the rear cylinder, it doesn't take much.

Also the flash (or download) is very lean for EPA also so it really does little or nothing at all to bring the temps down . A tuner is the way to go here.

Back