free website stats program Diesel oil | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Diesel oil

Actually, just the opposite is true.
Especially in the head/valve area, temperatures are much hotter in a gas engine than in a diesel.
Are you saying a gas engine will run the oil hotter? If so why can gas engines use the wax base?

I am saying that the combustion temperatures of a gas engine are significantly higher than that of a diesel.
The normal operating temperatures of a gas engine are higher than that of a diesel.
Therefore, the oil temperature of a gas engine is higher than that of a diesel.
The MAXIMUM operating temperature of a diesel is in the range of 225 degrees F
The MAXIMUM oil temperature (at the bearings) is 230 degrees F. Above that the oil begins to degrade and lose its lubrication properties rapidly.
The NORMAL operating temperatures of most gas engines is higher than what is published as MAXIMUM for a diesel.

As for paraffine based oil....there isn't much of it left. I believe that, with the exception of a couple, every API Rated asutomotive oil on the market today is a blend.

re.cam chain tensioner

what are the first signs of cam chain tensioners wearing ? also what is the easiest way to do a visual check. live &learn

Orange colored flecks in the oil filter is a good sign. Strange noises coming from the cam side of the engine and the best way is to pull the cover and have a look by 25K miles.

diesel oil still has sulpher and other things good for lubracation, but it's a polutant, and will be phased out soon.............bw

I use Rotella 15-40W oil in the winter. The bike starts easier and the oil circulates better. When the temps get up to 65 or 70... I will change to Mobil 1 for the summer.

Yep lots of guys run the 15-40 rotella (shell oil) in everything they own and swear by it even the sportbike guys run it , nothing better they say.

Back