Did I screw up my motor

Discussion in 'Softail Models' started by GA FATBOY, Aug 9, 2008.

1. GA FATBOY

GA FATBOY New Member

I have a 2005 fatboy, I installed a screaming eagle hi flow air filter and I'm waiting on my power commander and Vance and hines pipes to arrive. I took the bike out today and rode for about 70 miles and when I stopped for gas I heard a slight tapping sound, have I hurt my motor by riding it without installing the power commander and adjusting the fuel air ratio? the bike only has 5000 miles.

2. Dr. Dolittle

Dr. Dolittle Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

My intake/engine/exhaust are bone stock and my bike "ticks" after a ride when I shut it down and walk away. Seems to be perfectly normal to me for a large, hot hunk of metal (your engine) to make that noise as it cools off.

3. softailsteve

softailsteve Active Member

I put V&H Big Radious pipes and a screaming eagle hi flow air filter on my 06 fxsti at about 800 miles but could'nt get it in for a remap for a week I took it easy kinda lugged it for about 80 miles without any problems , we all know they already run on the hairy edge of disaster due to epa regs .I wouldn;t think you hurt it unless you hit kept it wound up tight . on 06 and earlier bikes you should be able to get the $149 remap and be fine with a good increase in hp and torque

4. Fisher

Fisher Account Removed

Your not helping it much but they're tough.However if it pings then all bets are off.You will eventually ventilate a piston.