free website stats program Did I make the right decision? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Did I make the right decision?

I knew if you went ahead and took this machine then..."all would be well".:D
Looking forward to seeing the pics. Congrats and thanks for the last update!

Well,

I tried to add some pictures, but I must have missed the minimum post count in the forum rules. I'll add them as soon as I can. Thanks.

Bought my first Harley about a month ago. Just like you I came from a sport bike background, but my poor wrists and knees could no longer handle the angles and weight.

I have never made a better decision in my life. Love my '09 Heratige Softail Classic with a deep passion.

Also, I paid about $1500 under book and got a discount on some clothing from the dealer.

I am new to the Harley thing also. I retired last Dec and bought a new UC the first harley I have ever owned. I do not regret it at all. The wife and I are just having a ball. Just wish we had done it years ago. Been through some other tour bikes and a couple of crusiers but this bike we have now beet them all. It s not the fastest on the highway but to me its the best on the highway. Only put on nine thousand since we got the bike in Dec.
Speed isn't a factor at all for me on my UC. It just gives me the look & feel that I have always wanted. I bought it used and I have no regrets! Love it!

I guess a bit of psychology is in order...we all hear an inner voice that tells us when and what to buy...sometimes best to not give buyer"s remorse a wedge in by dwelling too much on what coulda, woulda or shoulda...and just get out and ride.

The wind in your face and that huge grin on your face is not just to keep bugs out of your mouth! Sometimes it is just best to just silence the critics and do what you feel is the right...nothing ventured, nothing gained. :D

One thing you didn't mention. Did the bike speak to you, not litterally but down deep? Reading between the lines I think it did. I have bought several bikes and each one spoke to me as soon as I saw it. The last one I bought was a surprise to me, I took my grandson to the dealer to get some parts for his dirt bike. I had been turning the idea of trading for a touring bike for a while and was torn between the comfort of a cushy Ultra and the style of a Road Glide. I turned the corner and, there she was. I swear she said, "take me home big boy" that was last year and I havent regretted that purchase for a minute. As far as I am concerned a motorcycle is NOT a purchase that should be done using logic. It's like getting a woman, go with your heart.

First let me say that I typed a lenghty (probably too much so) response the day after my original post, but when I hit submit, the site kicked me out... LOL.

Thanks for all of the responses. I picked up my 2007 SE RK on Tuesday evening and I couldn't be happier. It's a great bike. I spent 4 hours at the local dealership the following morning having and inspection done, as well as all of the fluids drained and of course refilled. Even with less than 4k miles on it, I just wanted to start fresh with everything. Let me also say that at $120 and oil change, i'll be changing my own oil from here on out, just on principle alone.
I told my wife that I now know why I sold my last bike (a mistake). Riding a motorcycle can be such an inconvenience. You have to make sure the bike is clean, put on your gear, leave most every comfort feature from your car behind, and hope that it doesn't rain. It's hot outside, you get sunburned, and sitting in traffic in 100 degree Texas weather isn't fun. If you let your bike sit for too long without riding it, you forget how easily these inconveniences fade from memory when you crack the throttle open and hit the road. Let's hope I never make that mistake again.

One way or the other I made the right decision becuase I'm riding again. I forgot that being a motorcyclist is part of who I am. It's not what you ride, it's about the experience. Being lucky enough to have a Harley just makes it that much better. I am already thinking about adding another bike to the stable in the future. Something older and sportier, maybe a Monster or something...but we'll see. Well, I am about to go for a little ride, so I'll post some pics later. Thanks again folks!

Nice ride, enjoy... After my first dealer service I also decided that changing my own fluids was not only economical but it was FUN... I'm leaarning more about my bike every day, mostly from this site... As for inconvenience, it's a very enjoyable one... :D

Re: Did I make the right decision? PICS ADDED

22.jpg

04.jpg

IMG_1679.jpg

18.jpg

11.jpg

Back