free website stats program Did I make the right decision? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Did I make the right decision?

I am new to the Harley thing also. I retired last Dec and bought a new UC the first harley I have ever owned. I do not regret it at all. The wife and I are just having a ball. Just wish we had done it years ago. Been through some other tour bikes and a couple of crusiers but this bike we have now beet them all. It s not the fastest on the highway but to me its the best on the highway. Only put on nine thousand since we got the bike in Dec.

As one that tends to think things to death, I understand the quaundry. I did the same thing. For a LONG time, I kept jumping back and forth between what specific model I wanted. Over and over, I found myself looking at one paricular line. Then came picking a certain model within that line. And then what year? and so on...
Once the decision was made, I began searching, learning as much as possible about every little detail of 'my bike'. Then, how to find the one??? Once my "WANTS" and "MUST HAVES" were outlined, the REAL search began. After looking at ebay all over the state and the country, I found one within 50 miles! On the way, I stopped in at the local H-D dealer and almost succumbed to "New is always nice..." without even going to see the bike I had been looking for! A walk outside and a cooler head told me to drive the one more mile to look at the used bike. Long story cut a LITTLE shorter, I bought the used bike. It is THE bike I had hand chiseled into my GOTTA HAVE list. Do I have any regrets that I didn't get to put on that first one hundred miles? NOPE! I am happy with this bike, proud of the looks of it, and pleased with it in every way!
The bottom line.... go with your heart, get what YOU want, what YOU need, and most of all, go with a bike that fits your needs, your riding style and your body, size and build! But most of all....just GO! Take the world on two wheels......(Safely and with a smile on your face!) Always remember, the name of the registrant is the fella (or gal) that needs to be impressed...no one else!

Very well put I dare say!:D

Keep an eye out for a demo ride in your area. You're not going to lose less by buying HD. A large and heavy air/oil cooled V twin compared light weight in-line four covered in fairings is quite a difference.

I completely understand the justification of trying to find something that will be enjoyed and riden as much as possible so, touring helps with that.

I think I ride on some of those you are considering would be in order before making a commitment.

You can throw bags and a seat pack on just about anything. Find something that will fit the majority of the riding. Not EVERY kind of riding. That is too much to ask of even an HD.

Good luck and let us know what you end of deciding.

Cheers.

Like a few others, been going through the same but between a new Ultra (either Limited or Classic) or an 07 Ultra Classic (11K miles) / 09 Ultra Classic (5K miles). Noticed no one really seemed to comment on a used with some miles on it vs new and doing the break-in period yourself (however you believe the right way to be)... is there really anything to that argument for buying new?

Like a few others, been going through the same but between a new Ultra (either Limited or Classic) or an 07 Ultra Classic (11K miles) / 09 Ultra Classic (5K miles). Noticed no one really seemed to comment on a used with some miles on it vs new and doing the break-in period yourself (however you believe the right way to be)... is there really anything to that argument for buying new?

That's easy... New: SMELL.:s

...... As far as resale value..... I don't consider that at all when buying. You pay 10K over the standard bike model for a CVO and resale isn't directly proportionate to that at all. You take a hosing with a CVO on resale. The resale on the Harleys isn't what it's cracked up to be. They get a decent resale but not to be considered when you are making a decision of buying as a major issue at all.
Rarity....the CVO bikes are what could be considered somewhat rare only because of the limited number made but they phase out all the parts after a few years and they are difficult to come by. (been there done that)
Lastly....no need to upgrade a CVO? Let me just say I bought an anniversary CVO thinking along the same lines as you stated here and added about 6K in parts and extras (totaling $33K+) to it and when it came time to sell, I couldn't even get back retail value of the standard model (non CVO) and the bike was flawless with low miles so that myth can be dispelled. The only higher return is on the dealers level when they are sold new.

That was my point.:D
By buying a USED SE RK someone has already taken the lion's share of the hit on depreciation. You will not lose near as much as if you bought new.

And I address resale because it was a consideration of the original poster. If there is a chance you may want to sell the bike anytime soon you did exactly the right thing by buying used. And if you're looking at keeping it, a couple years down the road both bikes would have been used. EXCEPT YOU GOT A SE!

I say "Well purchased".

As buying a new (or used) ride is more an emotional thing...all things being equal, the advantage of buying used means typically you are buying a bike with many add-ons that can amount to $1,000's of dollars. And I agree with Cdn-Bigfoot...if it "happens" to be an CVO or SE that user already has taken a hit on the new/out the door price, so much the better. A good deal is a good deal if your emotions, finances, opportunity and quality deal is there...!

Enjoy the ride and new life style. You have picked an awesome ride and will enjoy it fore many years.

Take care and ride safe eh!!!:D

Back