free website stats program Diagnostic help needed for 08 XL1200C | Harley Davidson Forums

Diagnostic help needed for 08 XL1200C

Mike Woodman

New member here and my last Harley was in the 70s and was a 45 ci Army model. The Sporty is new to me but was a family members loaner bike for nephews etc. Bike was said to run very well last fall and has had all recommended service. It starts right up and runs well under load but seems to skip or miss while cruising resulting in a lurch that I can feel in the drive train. In order to putt along at 35 I have to keep the rpms high. I've checked for wires arcing but all is good there. The K&N air filter was dirty and there was what seemed like alot of oil on the throttle body from the last cleaning. I read somewhere that too much or the wrong oil for the filter can damage the sensors. I'm clueless when it comes to fuel injection. I have a KLR650 and a 77 naked Goldwing both carbed. Thanks for any help . I do have a factory manual but it has no info on the fuel injection. BTW I like the bike as it looks like new and I like the ride but the seat?? My bony old (EDIT) does not like the seat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sundowner makes comfortable seats, along with Mustang.
A drivers backrest helps tremendously in the comfort dept. for us old farts who still enjoy getting our knees in the breeze.

Try running a couple oz of Seafoam in the tank with fresh fuel, it works wonders for a scoot that has been setting for a while. When you clean and reapply the oil for your K&N filter don't over saturate the filter, wipe away any dripping oil with a rag. Make sure you use the recommended cleaner and oil that K&N recommends. You can buy the recharge kits at any good auto parts store.

You may also want to consider A full tune up plugs, wires and a new fuel filter would be a good idea.

Back