free website stats program Diagnosing Transmission Problems | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Diagnosing Transmission Problems

Hey
I know it's old but it seems very applicable to what I discovered on my old girl. Suddenly I found myself unable to shift, everything became very stiff, when 2 miles ago it was fine, didn't do anything to cause this, very puzzled. I was just about already to tear the box down to check the selector mechanism but just before I did I disconnected the Kuryakin forwards, just to see if it would engage with me just teasing the lever. Turned out the shaft through the forward control was seized and had very little movement on it, no wonder it wouldn't shift. Don't forget to service yer forwards once in a while (like me!).

Hey
I know it's old but it seems very applicable to what I discovered on my old girl. Suddenly I found myself unable to shift, everything became very stiff, when 2 miles ago it was fine, didn't do anything to cause this, very puzzled. I was just about already to tear the box down to check the selector mechanism but just before I did I disconnected the Kuryakin forwards, just to see if it would engage with me just teasing the lever. Turned out the shaft through the forward control was seized and had very little movement on it, no wonder it wouldn't shift. Don't forget to service yer forwards once in a while (like me!).
Good for you Russ. Another example of checking the obvious before going to deep into something.;)

Back