free website stats program Diagnosing Transmission Problems | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Diagnosing Transmission Problems

My 2004 Ultra just suffered the constant growling sound. I will tear into it the next week or so. My question is which brand bearings should I use? If I have to do gears, are HD products ok? I do not want to spend $1000 for a Baker, etc. I like my 5-speed - I just want a reliable bike that will not break down on me on trips - at an affordable price.

I do not want to spend $1000 for a Baker, etc.

That should have been $1000s :)

I have no problems with the HD parts (most of them) so unless you can get a quality aftermarket part I would use the HD parts.

My noise was from a very loose belt. I adjusted the belt tension and all is well.

(I just got back from a 1700 mi RT ride to North Conway, NH.)

goes into second hard

Does anyone have any info on why my bike goes into second hard only when i first take off.When every thing is cold,after the bike warms up it shifts ok. Thanks for any info.

Re: goes into second hard

What do you mean by goes into second hard? Do you mean it is difficult to move the shift lever when shifting into second gear?

If that is what is happening, yes, it is normal for the shifter to be a little more difficult when making a shift with a cold transmission.

This is especially true if you are using a heavy lube, such as a 70-140.

Also make sure the clutch and cable are adjusted properly.

Also check that the primary level is correct, it should just touch the outer diameter of the clutch shell, with the bike standing up. Some of the early Evo service manuals gave the incorrect method for checking the primary level, and if followed, the primary would be overfilled.

Re: goes into second hard

What do you mean by goes into second hard? Do you mean it is difficult to move the shift lever when shifting into second gear?

If that is what is happening, yes, it is normal for the shifter to be a little more difficult when making a shift with a cold transmission.

This is especially true if you are using a heavy lube, such as a 70-140.

Also make sure the clutch and cable are adjusted properly.

Also check that the primary level is correct, it should just touch the outer diameter of the clutch shell, with the bike standing up. Some of the early Evo service manuals gave the incorrect method for checking the primary level, and if followed, the primary would be overfilled.
For Me,,, Proper warming of all part on/in my bikes is a needed thing.

I have watched a few jack-rabbit start-off Cold when their bike just got out of the barn.
One of my early morning rides is with a group of bikers. Hot and Heavy take offs are the norm.

I'm not going to try to keep up with the mass BEFORE my bike is properly warmed.Soooo I go for a little putt before we gather to move off. Heck I'm in Arizonia and STILL warm my bike WELL before I get with the program...:breakdance

I do use Redline ShockProof Heavy in my tranny (75/250) and no matter how warm out , it is always Heavy starting off. I can feel the shifting as you say Hard...

Think about how our bodies opperate, cold muscles = slow and stiff movement...
Haw, that is why I moved to Az. but even here it is NOT always quite,,,You Know :newsmile018:

When I give my bike a chance to warm up , I CAN feel a difference... a Good Difference... Knowing Parts Will last longer. :bigsmiley40:

signed....BUBBIE

After my son-in-law laid my 2005 Harley Sportster 1200C over the shifter lost all spring action. I figured it would be the return spring but was surprised to find that it seems the stop pin is pushed way back. I bought a new stop pin but have no idea how to remove old one.

After my son-in-law laid my 2005 Harley Sportster 1200C over the shifter lost all spring action. I figured it would be the return spring but was surprised to find that it seems the stop pin is pushed way back. I bought a new stop pin but have no idea how to remove old one.

With this thread being a older one I would start a new thread in Sportster section asking question. The self help does not usually get a lot of answers to questions..... It is usually comments to tip.....:s

Back