free website stats program Devices to scare the DEER | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Devices to scare the DEER

Stands to reason that some baggers that have the factory 5 weight in them will compress hard enough to contact the brake "T" bolt and dent the fender so anything below that will be history with hard breaking and possibly a pothole.

My brother owned two 1997 Roadkings at the same time. He had a fobia of hitting a deer, hence he installed one of those plastic deer whistles between his front forks under the nacelle, and above the top of the front fender. In time while riding his Roadkings the telescoping action of the hydraglide front end resulting in the top of the fender meeting resistance with the deer whistle and the deer whistle won.:newsmile017:

Both bikes ended up with dents on the top of the fenders. Not a pretty sight. Hence I tell folk....beware of where you install deer whistles on your motorcycle.

Both bikes had to be repaired.:newsmile093:

yup..happen to me as well...but lucky me it only cost 300.00 dollars to correct the very large dimples in the fender..oh yeah I installed 2 of them...to straighten the very large dimples and repaint the enite fender...only 300 bucks..and I don't mean a boy deer either...lol..then of course I find they don't work anyway...crazy huh?

IMO there are two kinds of deer, highway deer and back road deer. Highway deer are more adapted to loud car and truck noise. They are less likely to jump at you and you have more time and room to react. Now back road deer are very sketchy and nervous, they tend to run at cars and loud motorcycle that frighten them. I usually am more concerned with back road deer at night and have learned to how to avoid them. The best thing to do is always watch the sides of the road closely and never lose concentration, never let your guard down. Watch for the "green eyes" in the trees lines. When you see the eyes, slow down and watch for the deers reaction. They will either turn quickly into the woods or turn at you. When you see deer are crossing the road, always remember that there may be one following the one you see on the road, there is most likely a baby sitting on the treeline waiting to cross. Deer run to catch up when they get startled, these are usually the ones you hit.

There are no devices that work, the best thing is good judgement and being prepared when they run on you. Just remember to keep your speed down and be ready to brake when you see the green eyes and try "not" to scare them. Another thing to take notice is when driving on roads at night in your car watch and rember where you see deer. They tend to stay and cross in the same spots every day.

We don't have the biggest deer here in Central Texas. What we don't make for size we do in numbers. I live in a town of 50,000. I have a herd that crosses behind my house that number about 18. They come up to the front door to eat the schrubs. I don't have a problem to cull a few(6) every year.
My doctor like's it. Keeps the bad cholestrol down..:D

Well thats not far at all from Belgium. I would love to help you out.How much land do you have and how many hunters do you let in?

Problem with the deer whistles is they are designed to work about somewhere around 40 mph, which from what I have heard they tend to work well. However, the problem is that most of the time when you think there may be deer you 1 slow down...whistles ineffective or 2 just are in an slower area and well you guessed it the whistles are ineffective.

Best option, as noted earlier, keep your eyes on guard, foot and hand ready to break and well just avoid the roads with the heavy wooded areas surrounding them...if you can.

Back