Detachable Lowers Kit

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by hogcowboy, Jun 8, 2012.

1. hogcowboy

hogcowboy Active Member

Any of you folks that installed the detachable lowers kit regret it? Was it worth the money?

2. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

3. hogcowboy

hogcowboy Active Member

Ya, I think I'm going to do it. Being here in Texas we really only need the lowers for one or two months at best. And sure as I take them off and wait 10 months to put them back on, some of the mount hardware will have grown legs.:D I like the idea of everything in one place. Don't know if that will stop things from growing legs still but maybe a better chance anyway.:bigsmiley12:

4. iclick

iclick Member

I installed the HD detach kit (#58146-07) with my lowers four years ago and have yet to remove the lowers, except once to replace the crash bar. I would not recommend it unless you'll be detaching them frequently, and to determine that I would install the lowers without them and ride for six months in a trial period. The standard hardware requires only common tools to remove and I doubt if the detach kits will save much time.

5. Mongo1958

Mongo1958 Junior Member

6. Trek

Trek Junior Member

I'm going to have to agree with iclick, it's quite a bit colder here in Illinois than Texas and I only put mine on when it gets really cold. It doesn't take that long at all. If it were me I would put the money towards something else.

7. Mongo1958

Mongo1958 Junior Member

Here in the south (Atlanta GA) I ride on the interstates a lot. Lots of FOD on the roads. I've been hit by a lot of FOD in the past and it hurts, even draws blood. I'll keep my lowers on.

8. Dr. Dolittle

Dr. Dolittle Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

For those not familiar with aviation terminology:

FOD = Foreign Object Damage

9. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

At first I thought it was nice having the ability to quickly/easily remove my lowers, but now I only remove them for thorough cleaning. With the vents they still cool nice + I've got hwy pegs to use, if I want to catch some air on legs. Mine pretty much never come off, but still like having quick release HW.

10. Mongo1958

Mongo1958 Junior Member

Thanks Doc. Some times I forget that everyone does not speak Mongo