free website stats program Derby cover | Harley Davidson Forums

Derby cover

DynaBike

I'm planning on replacing my blank cover with a Willie G. (25441-04A). I'm guessing the clutch plate is on the other side of this cover. Is there fluid behind this cover or is it just a quick swap ? TIA

I'm planning on replacing my blank cover with a Willie G. (25441-04A). I'm guessing the clutch plate is on the other side of this cover. Is there fluid behind this cover or is it just a quick swap ? TIA

Assuming you have a wet clutch, there should be primary fluid/lube inside the primary case. To avoid any spill when you remove your current derby cover, stand the bike nearly up-right before removing the cover. Do this in such a way that the bike is secure from falling over to the right. As a note, this may be an excellent time to replace the fluid in the primary. I suggest you consider using HD Formula + or Spectro Primary as the replacement fluid. Check your manual for the approximate amount required.

TQ

No need for a centre stand or motorcycle jack. Just make sure you have your oil catch basin under the bike when you remove the derby cover. Then drain the fluid with the plug below. Add 950ml into the bottom of the primary using a funnel that has been cut at an angle. 950ml should fill to the lip of the depression at the bottom of the primary opening when on side stand. Replace the cardboard gasket and put on your new primary cover.

DynaBike; definitely don't forget to the the associated gasket too (separate item/part#) & make sure you torque the bolts in a "star" pattern & "cautiously." Don't want to snap any of them heads off...Cheers!

I agree that since you're taking the cover off you may as well change your fluid at the same time.

I would have a new gasket handy but I guess I'm not as obsessed with changing it every time I take off the derby cover as some other folks are. If the old gasket looks fine then carefully reinstall it. It's not a highly pressurized area after all.

I like a bit of antsieze on the threads and behind the captive washers, these bolts tend to gall a bit here in Florida

Back