free website stats program Derby cover ? | Harley Davidson Forums

Derby cover ?

Mueller

Looking through the HD catalog I thought the "Flame" derby cover would look nice on my bike. Question is; what happens when I take the present derby cover off...does oil spill out, are there gaskets etc? Or is it a job left up to the dealer?

Thanks
Mueller

It does not on my 09 Dyna. Even with the bike leaning on the jiffy stand to the left, no oil comes out.:p

The cover on mine has a captive silicone O ring. No big deal. Go for it!

Smitty, your right,, it really is flat. It almost looks more like a "belt". But when in place, it stands on edge. Is
that the way it is on a Sportster?

Mueller; this is one of the easier engine/accessory updates you can accomplish & it's a fairly simple process. If you're concerned on fluid's, put a small block under your stand to level the bike. From there it's pretty much wrenching off the old cover & installing the new one. Couple of cautions - (1). make sure you have the correct bit for your derby cover bolts. (2). Like smitty ID'd - get the new gasket. (3). Follow instructions for bolt tightening & torque specs. Finally, sit back & smile w/your new bike "bling, bling."

I just replaced the one on my '08 this summer. If the bike is fairly upright nothing should leak out. Use a couple small dabs of grease or silicone to hold the gasket in place while installing the new cover. It's a bear to keep it in the groove otherwise.

If your mechanically inclined enough to ride it that job shouldnt be a problem, dont be scared its only chrome it wont bite. Good luck and enjoy!

Why not get a personalized derby cover so it is not like all the rest? Here is mine, The Black Pearl.

Attachments

• blk pearl.jpg
    blk pearl.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 38
Walleye...YAR Mate-tee, interesting twist adding custom derby cover...there was a post from Smitty I think about engravers who even put military logos and stuff on them and fuel covers.

Regarding install, Iceman has you covered, leveling the bike (I leaned bike against wall and put stack of boards under the bike to steady) or bungee strategically to bike hooks on wall. Just make sure your tools fit the fasteners and you may even want to replace them, as they are usually "inexpensive" cadmium plated ones that oxidize or corrode with age...with some decent stainless or chromium ones with threadsealer.

Last edited:
all the ones i have done, the oil will come out of the bike on the side stand, easy fix is just stand it upright, torque is 100 INCH POUNDS

Back