free website stats program Derby Cover Torx bolt stuck... | Harley Davidson Forums

Derby Cover Torx bolt stuck...

buzz2978

So, in the process of changing my stock derby cover for my CVMA cover and 2 of my torx bolts will not come out. I am to the point that I drilled and used a grab-it/easy out etc. and they will not come out still. Any help? Do I need to drill them all the way out now, or should I break down and trailer it to the shop and pay $90 an hour for a tech to do it? Really do not want to go that route if I can avoid it. Thanks in advance...Buzz

Had a similar problem on my '99 Ultra. One sticky bolt. Took a ball peen hammer and gently peened wround the head of the bolt to give the torx driver as much to grab as possible, and then used an impact driver to unseat the bolt. Might be worth a try.....

I've run in to this before... An impact wrench set on low@40 psi will break them loose. Not having that, a battery powered drill with a driver and #27 torx bit will do it, just instead of setting it on drill, back it off to about 8 or so. That will activate the clutch mechanism and simulate an impact wrench. Usually snaps them loose as well as an impact will.

Unfortunately you are past that point, I'd drill 'em on out now.

And...when you get them out - throw away & go get some stainless steel hex bolts to replace torx. Then you're good & won't have a future repeat.

And...when you get them out - throw away & go get some stainless steel hex bolts to replace torx. Then you're good & won't have a future repeat.

Like Iceman said, get rid of the torx, I did this on my softy after I had one of the torx strip, liked to have never gotten it out. Was able to drill and use an easy-out.

And to remove other Torx bolts, you neeed to invest in a impact hammer to prevent stripping head of bolts in the first place....

Use some Antisieze on these bolts, you will be removing them again for clutch adjustments. The real problem with these bolts is the locking in place by the washers under the bolt heads, this is where the anti sieze works:s

Usually on these bolts once you have drilled the heads off remove the derby cover that takes the pressure off the threads and you should be able to un screw by hand or use a grips on the stub end

Brian

I'd like to change mine from the torx to hex head bolts. Anyone know what size they are?

Back