free website stats program Derby cover screw issue from GTMO | Harley Davidson Forums

Derby cover screw issue from GTMO

pacman1025

Greetings from 92 degree GTMO!

So changing my fluids on '09 FXDC, I (like many others) managed to strip one of my derby cover screws. I needed a new derby cover anyway so I figured it was time to put the Eagle, Globe and Anchor on and get new screws while I was at it. PROBLEM IS...the daggone derby cover DID NOT come with replacement screws!!!

I have a buddy on leave in the States right now and I need him to pick me up some replacement screws but I don't know what the size of the screws are, and I don't want to mess it up, no PUN intended.

Torx/ Allen, Stainless or chrome...at this point It doesn't matter. I need to know the specs of these screws then I can call my buddy and I can decide what kind I have him get and he can send them and I can finish with the fluid change:D

I don't have the luxury of goings to a Lowe's/Home Depot or an ACE hardware or any automotive stores :( Guantanamo Bay, CUBA has not the options that my buddy does in the States. Boy let me tell you, it's a royal pain tooooo!

I am on lunch right now and have to get back to work! I'll work on my profile with a pic later. Thanks for any help you can provide! Take care and ride safe...if your not snowed in yet!!!

-pacman

have your buddy go to a near by dealership, they can give him the specs for new screws or, better yet, just have him pick up a new set there. BTW, I was stationed in GTMO in 1985, watch out for the banana rats and land crabs. Stay safe, Marine.

Semper Fi!!

Glider, Jack & Mavagrand...Thanks for your replies. You guys take care and Mavagrand...Happy Belated Birth Day Devil Dog! Semper Fi!

-pacman

Pacman, I feel your pain. I was there twice (Nov07-Nov08 & May10-May11)doing detainee operations and stationed at NAS Jacksonville now. Try taking one of your old bolts out to the BEEF at Camp Justice, they might have a size that you can use. Also, Joe, the Safety Officer for Nav Sta rides too, he may have a couple of spare bolts. If not, he may know someone else that has some spare parts. Good luck with it.

If you order by mail you can have it sent to Air Sunshine in Fort Lauderdale and get it faster than the APO mail but, it cost I believe $20 more. Just some info in case you wasn't aware of that...Don't think I would do it for the bolts though.:D

I will suggest you go with allen head, you won't have the problem of stripping the head again and I think they look better too!

I believe that it is a 1/4" X20 thread, 5/8' long. Your choice of head styles.

The 1/4" x 20 tpi worked well for my Softail with chrome allen head.... but I think the 5/8 foot might be a little long Mr "G".... :lolrolling

I suggest you torque them down to 84-108 inch pounds. Saved me a lot of leakage. Tighten them in a cross-wise pattern.

Back