free website stats program Derby cover gasket trick to share. | Harley Davidson Forums

Derby cover gasket trick to share.

dbinbc

Just changed my Tranny and Primary oils on my FLHTC. The manual says to discard the rubber gasket under the derby cover and purchase a new one from your dealer. Forgot to pick up a new gasket and I had removed the old one so I could wipe the residue from the back of the cover. Went to put the gasket back and it was about an inch too long, would not go back in the groove. Put the gasket in the freezer for a couple of minutes and it fit perfectly. Seems to be doing it's job just fine now.

Just changed my Tranny and Primary oils on my FLHTC. The manual says to discard the rubber gasket under the derby cover and purchase a new one from your dealer. Forgot to pick up a new gasket and I had removed the old one so I could wipe the residue from the back of the cover. Went to put the gasket back and it was about an inch too long, would not go back in the groove. Put the gasket in the freezer for a couple of minutes and it fit perfectly. Seems to be doing it's job just fine now.

Perfect description of the term "Shrinkage".:D From the cold.

something good to remember when ur in a pinch to get back on the road

I have Always used the rubber "0" ring over and over and over again.... With Out any problems....

I do "make sure" that the derby cover and the Old "0" ring is Dry of oil and showing No cracks or damage, then Use it again...

I have found IF I leave oil on the cover or the "0" ring, when re-installed,it starts a Wicking effect and will Draw oil around the ring seal... especially the fiber gasket on the inspection cover on the older model bikes.. Keeping them Dry of oil and I re-use them again Many times with out a problem.(note,,, on MY bikes)

That Cooling in the freezer does work well but don't get it too cold or "0" will crack when bent..

No, I'm not $$ tight but I have always been too far away from the New gaskets when i change the oil or inspect and adjust...

A NEW gasket is the Best way to go.... BUT Me,,,,!!:small3d007:

signed....BUBBIE

This works good for installing valve guides too get them cold and they slide right in:s

I have Always used the rubber "0" ring over and over and over again.... With Out any problems....

I do "make sure" that the derby cover and the Old "0" ring is Dry of oil and showing No cracks or damage, then Use it again...

I have found IF I leave oil on the cover or the "0" ring, when re-installed,it starts a Wicking effect and will Draw oil around the ring seal... especially the fiber gasket on the inspection cover on the older model bikes.. Keeping them Dry of oil and I re-use them again Many times with out a problem.(note,,, on MY bikes)

That Cooling in the freezer does work well but don't get it too cold or "0" will crack when bent..

No, I'm not $$ tight but I have always been too far away from the New gaskets when i change the oil or inspect and adjust...

signed....BUBBIE

Same here Bubbie. I've had that derby cover off 4 times so far since getting my bike, and still using the same gasket. Take it out, wipe it down, inspect it, clean the cover and back on she goes. No leaks as of yet. But on the next change, I will put on a new gasket. Don't want to push my luck too far ya know.

signed....BUBBIE

I use Silglide to hold the O ring in place works great and it keeps the O ring soft and reuseable:s

That is onw well designed and built O ring using the term loosely. I do the same, wipe out the groove and the o ring real good, being careful when installing and watch for slippage and pinching and it works great - no leaks. I'll bet it lasts for years.
WAP.gif

Back