dented battery

Discussion in 'Other Service and Maintenance' started by flyin64, Sep 15, 2011.

1. flyin64

flyin64 Member

is this dent too bad to use this battery?

mr clumsy dropped it. its opposite the neg terminal

thanks in advance

mark

Attached Files:

2. R_W_B

R_W_B Senior Member

Ummm that's kinda risky. First off you may have damaged the integrity of the case which could lead to a leak. But even more so you may have damaged the interior plates which could lead to all kinds of problems either immediate or down the road.

3. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

I would not chance it, like Dave said you may have internal damage, this would leave you stranded or worse a shorted battery can explode

4. glider

glider Veteran Member

Agree on both counts. Replace it to be safe. Have you ever seen what the acid can do to a bike? Not a pretty site at all.

5. kemo

kemo R.I.P

You betcha, replace it.
    Ken

6. Dswartz

Dswartz Active Member

Like Glider said the battery acid can be nasty. When I purchased my bike the previous owner did not properly maintain the battery and it had leaked acid all over the tray. This of course led to rust and all sorts of other problems. I had to spend some time last winter stripping and refinishing the tray and a few other things. Not fun, do yourself a favor and get a new battery. It's really not worth the risk.

7. Webbtron

Webbtron Banned

Doesn't look that bad to me but it might be a different story if it was my bike. But if it fits in the battery box seems like it would never move again.

8. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

If it were mine i would replace it in the bike but if the battery still held a charge i would keep it for the times i need a 12v power source around the shed

Brian

9. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

Another vote for replace...acid fumes can be explosive, if there's a crack. That would be much worse than fixing acid corrosion...

10. biscuit

biscuit Junior Member

That's a great idea.I have a couple of old batteries that are connected to my 'c tek' chargers and they are perfect to run my 12v compressor when i check tyre pressures on 3 bikes and 4 cars.I've long given up using foot or hand pumps---