free website stats program Denim Paint? | Harley Davidson Forums

Denim Paint?

CoreyV

I'm strongly considering trading my sportster in on a new softail slim. I've read on this site alot about the denim paint...some good some bad. I guess what I'd like to know for those who own denim paint bikes would you by a new ride with it again?? Any and all thoughts appreciated. Thanks

1.) How long are you going to own the new bike.
2.) Can you live with the denim paint for that long???

Black Denim on my Softail Slim and I am well satisfied. If you are the type of rider that wipes the bike down after every ride then the denim probably isn't for you. I like a bike that looks good with a nice coat of dust, like it just crossed the state. (or country) For my lack of desire to polish, denim works...

Black Denim on my Softail Slim and I am well satisfied. If you are the type of rider that wipes the bike down after every ride then the denim probably isn't for you. I like a bike that looks good with a nice coat of dust, like it just crossed the state. (or country) For my lack of desire to polish, denim works...

I like a clean bike don't get me wrong but I'd rather be riding than wiping. The paint seems like it would be hard to clean bugs and stuff off. In the show room I really like the denim look. Too me it seems like it would take less to maintain. Does it water spot???

Can't comment on water-spotting, haven't ridden in the rain or washed the bike. Haven't collected many bugs. I use Protect-All (RV section of Wal-Mart) sprayed on a rag to clean bugs off the front forks and headlight. My main riding is in the cool of the morning when a leather jacket is still comfortable... very few bugs. (even in North Florida)

A little Windex will clean bugs / spots on the Black Denum paint without making it shiny. Occasional wash with soap and water, spot clean with Windex... I live off a lime-rock grade, down a dirt driveway. Most rides are dusty, some are muddy, all begin and end off-pavement.

phil_r-albums-phil_r+softail+slim-picture8098-softailslim_08.jpg

The only trouble I have had with my black denim on my bones is some cute thing left a white shoe mark on the lower side of the tank, while getting off. Tried everything to remove it finally had to used a little a little rubbing compound, now I have a little 'bright spot' better then white. As for bugs or rain spots, sure they get there as most other paint do to! It is pretty easy to keep clean and even when it is dirty still looks good. Would I do it again....sure!

You know - both paint types have their good/bad so I'd go w/the one you like best. Denim has great looks/easy maint, but can peel & get shiny spots w/rubbing. Color/gloss paint also had the look w/shiny shell, little more maint & can show scratches easier...seems like I look @ my vivid black & it grows dust & fine scratches. Still like the color I chose & w/anual detail/maint. I can make it look new. When all else fals - there's re-painting...;)

Bottom line - let paint be one of the many attributes you like in a bike & choose your preference(s). Good luck!

It is like anything after awhile you may get board with it. But... think of it this way, aren't our bikes always evolving? We want them faster better looking cooler than anyone elses? Go with Denim if you don't like it a couple years new paint would be a great winter project.
Good luck with whatever you decide and be safe.

At Patriot HD in Fairfax VA this morning I saw a new Slim with the denim finish and they had customized it with some really cool black pinstripes. The stripes were gloss black which contrasted with the denim finish. It was a really cool effect and I would not have thought of doing it like that. Now I am thinking if having something similar done to my own Slim.

Also Sodomy

Back