free website stats program Demon Deuce, no fire to plugs | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Demon Deuce, no fire to plugs

ok call me stupid!!!!! I have been a mechanic for 40+ years and have never seen an engine that would not fire plugs with plugs out. I put both plugs back in and got another plug, hooked up plug wire and it sparked! Put wire back on plug and it fired up. Am I that out of touch with the new stuff.

But I always wanted to know why things work the way they do. Kinda like the difference between a ground and a neutral on 110 voltage. Had it explained to me several times but still dont totally understand just accepted it. I have to admit I thought you were a little crazy saying I had to have at least one plug in but I figured what the heck and surprise, surprise, surprise. Thanks for all your help Hoople, you have been a life saver

Kinda like the difference between a ground and a neutral on 110 voltage. Had it explained to me several times but still dont totally understand just accepted it.

Just remember it this way. The neutral and ground wires are tied together at the breaker panel. But in most cases, the neutral is the return path for the current in the circuit. It is normal to see current flow in the neutral wire (120 volt phase). Even though the ground wire & neutral are tied together at the breaker panal, the ground should never have current flow through it as long as a fault condition does not exist. The ONLY time current flow should be in a ground wire is during a fault condition.
A ground wire is not required to make a device (lamp, motor) work. It is there only for safety.

Glad the bike is better.

Rode twice now and have had no problems. I have not tried to pull codes since it starteed. I am working a heritage, going to try and pull codes on it to see if I am doing it right. Thanks again for all help......

I was going to ride week before christmas, had not started in about 1 week. Went out, it started pulled it on shop porch, got dressed and it would not start, no fire...... Put battery charger on and checked about 2 hours later, had fire. Next morning no fire, jumped off truck and had fire... Load tested battery seemed so so. Went ahead and replaced battery, so far so good. Update to follow!

PC is still disconnected? If it was my bike, I would try using a Daytona Twin Tech to extract those codes. HD also makes a stand alone model (no laptop required) but I think the Twin Tech model does more. It's just a must tool to have if you plan on keeping bike and enjoy doing some of your own work.

Daytona Twin Tec LLC - Fuel Injection Systems and Ignition Modules for Harley-Davidson Motorcycles

Download their main catalog. You may want to check with them first to make sure it can see & stream live data on your year ECM. I know after 2004 it works similar to HD Scream Eagle Super Tuner as far as live data.

No matter what it costs you, it will be save you money in long run.

Back