free website stats program Demo Ride Accidents/Damages | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Demo Ride Accidents/Damages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eagle has posted that he lives in Kennesaw, GA and he was at a 'local' dealer so I can just about place the dealership. I kind of wonder if the dealer knew what the general manager was up to? If the HOG club acted as a chapter then they had better have insurance to cover themselves. This is so wrong it defies logic and common sense. Fossil

Let's not jump to conclusions before he decides to answer, if he does. There are three dealerships within an easy 30 to 40 minute ride of Kennesaw and several others that could still be considered "local." I, for one, would really like to know which dealer it was and follow up on this atrocity. I can choose which dealer gets my hard earned $$$ and things like this help determine that choice!

I would also like to know how you could be sure you were not buying a repaired demo bike interesting thread

OK Folks-

I have not been ignoring the requests for more information. I was just waiting to get a few more facts about the situation. I do know one of the riders involved in the events this past Sunday, and I wanted to determine if the dealership was going to follow-up on their "threats" before shaming them to the world.

The dealership is Killer Creek Harley-Davidson in Alpharetta, Georgia. In the particular scenario that I followed-up on, a 2010 Street Glide was dropped at low speed (< 3 mph). Upon inspection (by myself, the rider, and bystanders) the only visible damage was a small paint chip on the front fender.

This afternoon, the GM of the dealership did call the rider and disclosed the following:

• More than $1,600.00 in damage had occurred.
  • He was willing to use "take-off" parts kept in the back to replace an alleged scratched rear muffler.
  • The scratched fender would be returned to the MoCo as an alleged "damaged product upon arrival" and "hopefully" be replaced.
  • After "employee discounts" (cost + 10% on parts and 30% off labor) the rider is "responsible" for $214.00 in damage to the right floor board, floor board bracket, and the engine guard (all of these items appeared unscathed on my initial investigation).
Ironically enough, the GM did not mention or pitch the purchase of a new vehicle to the rider upon the phone call today.

You can click View attachment demo%20release.pdf to view the release form used for the demo ride. I do not claim to be an attorney; however, I do have a legal background. The disclosure seems to establish a "hold harmless" claim from damages and injuries sustained to the participant, but not the rider's burden of responsibility for damages incurred by the dealer.

Riders Beware!

JDP, thank you for your insight on this interesting topic. I was always wondering what the risks were when participating in a demo ride...and swung my leg over many a ride, but only rode ones I was actually going to buy for that very reason. When I bought my first bike I new at some point I would put an inaugural scratch...so just made sure it was my bike and my responsibility to be sure. As the saying goes, if it sounds too good to be true...it probably is!

Once you read AND sign it IS a CONTRACT detailing your responsibility and pretty clearly too...rider is responsible for any and all damages...that is why we carry insurance and why you should be a licensed and insured motorcyclist in good standing before taking part in that demo ride. There is a bit of implied MOCO good will involved though as you are invited to participate in the demo or xx ride so I would think some relief would be given on a case by case basis and of course if you BOUGHT a motorcycle...

Last edited:
WOW , This is a very interesting.. it just doesnt sound right to me. When I took a demo ride I didnt sign anything like that, of course I was ready to buy at the time also,, but, shouldn't make a difference though......:(

I was thinking of going this weekend to take part in the Super Ride promo HD has going on now, but after reading this thread I think I'll just take my own bike for a long ride instead.

That form they had the riders sign was a release form of death and injury of the rider for the dealership. There's no language in it that indicates liability to the rider if the dealership's property is damaged. Your friend and the rest of them should tell them to go pound sand and hold their breath for the money.

Quote from the release previously posted, "I EXPRESSLY AGREE TO ASSUME THE ENTIRE RISK OF ANY ACCIDENTS, PROPERTY DAMAGE OR PERSONAL INJURY, INCLUDING PERMANENT DISABILITY, PARALYSIS AND DEATH, THAT I MIGHT SUFFER AS A RESULT OF MY OPERATING THE MOTORCYCLE AND PARTICIPATING IN THE DEMONSTRATION RIDE(S)."

It looks to me like you are accepting the responsibility for any damages to the bike. Read that first sentence, underlined portion, carefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back