free website stats program Defend your right to loud pipes! | Harley Davidson Forums

Defend your right to loud pipes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carpfish

When I read the posts on this site, I often see folks saying that democracy is fading and our rights are being squashed. I completely agree with you and usually catch myself getting a little frustrated...much like the signers of the Declaration of Independence. I also read arguments about loud pipes and how the EPA is closing in on our rights to have them. Rather you agree with them or not, any rider that has loud pipes will tell you that when you're approaching cars on the roadways, the passengers usually look out the window to catch a glimpse of a piece of nostalgia (Harley). With that said, it stands to reason that they (loud pipes) do save lives when traveling in the blind spots of drivers not paying attention. While I don't agree with a lot of things that are legal, I'm always cautious when it comes to encroachment of rights. While I can't necessarily say where I work, I can tell you that Congress has to answer the mail (e-mail too) and they have to pay attention if they want to get elected every two years (House). With that said, it is important that you voice your opinion on this and other issues on a regular basis. Simply go to United States House of Representatives, 111th Congress, 2nd Session or U.S. Senate to find your Congressman's homepage and click the e-mail link. If you don't you may be riding in complete silence and lose a piece of Americana...besides, what would a Harley be without loud pipes!

I totally agree! I know some don't like the loud pipes but I tend to lean more towards them. V&H Straight Shots with out baffles on mine and love every minute.

Is there a specific piece of legislation we/I should reference or are you just saying in general we/I should speak up?

Before you sign me off, here me out... I have loud pipes on my bike for the very reasons you listed, (Love the sound, Think its safer for us)...but we don't have a "right" to loud pipes. There' nothing in the Constitution, Bill of Rights, or any other document that states we have this as a right. There are too many people today that use this frase "It's my Right" when it's not written. I still like & appreciate the sound of other bike, but be careful how you throw that wording around. The best thing we can do is try not to tread too far over the line, and enjoy them while we can.

There's nothing in the Constitution, Bill of Rights, or any other document that states we DO NOT have this as a right.

There's nothing in the Constitution, Bill of Rights, or any other document that states we DO NOT have this as a right.

See how that holds up in court... Example: Go inside the city limits of Myrtle Beach, SC with loud pipes and let "Barney" catch ya... I'll bet you'll be paying a Fine. :newsmile093:

We don't even have the "right" to a driver's license, let alone loud pipes.
If I want a drivers license I can study the rules of the road and practice on a learners permit. I can then take a test, both written and driving and in some states a motorcycle endorsement which means another test, both written and riding.

If I don't pass the tests I don't get no stinkin' license!!!!!!!! It isn't a right to be just handed to me.

I also do not have the "right" to have pipes so loud they bother people. Being obnoxiously loud is not a "right". People have the "right" to go about their business without some Peter Fonda wanna-be shattering their eardrums as they ride by. It is offensive to people and often frightens animals and kids. It also helps to continue our reputation of being society's rejects who are capable of only causing trouble and making noise.

Believe it or not, most states have laws that regulate the decibel level of exhaust noise on motorcycles, cars, trucks...whatever. My pipes are not stock, but they are not capable of shattering window glass at 50 feet or activating car alarms, which I understand is a fun sport for the really bored.

The above is just my opinion of course. The world won't change if someone disagrees with me. Another thing that won't change is loud pipes becoming a "right". Driving a car and riding a bike are privileges that can be earned through tests. If you pass your tests and then break the rules, like having loud pipes, you can pay the fine. That's the state's right.:laugh

The only 'right' that we have, is to bare the burden of heavy government oversight... Make noise while you still can! :D

Last edited:
Soon we will have so many rights that we will end up with no rights. What about my rights to quit exhausts. So many wanna be Harley owners put loud exhaust on their bikes which make them very load and not good sounding. If you enjoy your loud exhaust respect my rights.
kemo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back