free website stats program Decisions-Dyna, Softtail,Sporster,Touring?? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Decisions-Dyna, Softtail,Sporster,Touring??

I just bought a RKC, coming from an 883 sporty (my first bike). The RKC is a great bike! The comfort is amazing, as is the power. It handles great as well. I now find excuses to ride on the highway, whereas on the sporty (as someone else mentioned) the smaller size bike along with the significant vibration at highway speeds always made me a little nervous. At this point, I'm not doing a lot of long distance touring, so I didn't go with a bike with a fairing (plus, I think the RKC is the best looking bike HD makes... but don't all people think that of the bike they ride? :D)

Test ride 'em all... and then get the RKC

best
Drew

I think if you are not going to tour that often. Then go with the RK or a dyna. But if you plan on long trips frequently, then get a bagger. Just my 2 cents.

I think the HD Demo Days would be too crowded and too rushed. Do an honest assessment of the type of riding you'll do MOST of the time - touring, bar hopping, solo, 2 up, etc. Narrow it down to 2 choices. Go to a dealer and make sure they know you are SERIOUS about buying something eventually. You should be able to get an extended test ride on your 2 choices back-to-back. Don't trust just sitting on them in the showroom - got to get several hours in the saddle to be sure.

Is there anywhere that you can find the difference in handling, ride, performance, nimbleness, etc., between the models?

I have a pair of Sportsters, but they are not good for long distance. I will trade up for something, but I still like my handling. The Harley web site is no help at all.

I would like something that handles well, nimble, rides well, and doesn't vibrate your teeth out at 70 mph, and will do well on the dragons tail.

Comparing rides of an HD by typing about it really is like trying to smell a rose based on the responses you get reading your screen...can't happen :wall

HD tried to do it with videos, in their Parts and Accessory catalog showing their vertical marketing riding styles and finish approach...but the bottom line is actual saddle time. Get your riding skills up by taking a rider course, and test ride HD models that "push your start button" and you will make the decision that can only be made by you, and your riding application? Solo - Street? Two-UP - Touring? Performance - Straightline or curved? Show Stopping Bling - ? There is an HD in your future if you answer realistically and separate wants and needs for this life experience change. :D

If you want to ride the tail of the dragon i did it on my electra glide classic this past summer and stopped a smokey mountian harley in maryville tn. that sure is a good dealership and they can hook you up for test rides. But the dragon is not all that its cracked up to be, just be ready to dodge (EDIT)cagers and crotch rockets, and tn. mounties!:coffee:newsmile07:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back