free website stats program Decent Leather? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Decent Leather?

Interesting...you just blew my mind. Someone that collected leather and was knowledgable is an asset in here. I looked at em all and have to say Fox Creek is more my style. Thank you for sharing this info. Now I do hope their leather is not too heavy since I do live in Florida and only 3 months out the year do I need anything other than a jean jacket. Cheers

if you live in the warmer climate then ,any leather will due , the newer stuff is lite weight witch makes them very comfy to wear and fast breakin, when you get to the heavy weight stuff not as comfortable and 2 years to break in , you really might want to look at alternitive materials that will hold up better if you go down, lite weight comfy,very little break in and breaths better =cooler for the warm weather rider.

Interesting...you just blew my mind. Someone that collected leather and was knowledgable is an asset in here. I looked at em all and have to say Fox Creek is more my style. Thank you for sharing this info. Now I do hope their leather is not too heavy since I do live in Florida and only 3 months out the year do I need anything other than a jean jacket. Cheers

Even though it seems your more concerned that your leather choices are not heavy because your in Florida. The main reason for that leather is so when you do go down. Its the leather, not your flesh thats on the road.

zoood

There are leather jackets that have zippered flow thru vents with perforated leather within. There are some removable liners so they still have the attributes of heavy 3-4 mil leather for abrasion and protection but allow breathing even in hot weather (my Heine Gehricke Jacket has these features which I take advantage of when the H-D one is too heavy/hot). As we are in winter part of riding season...layer up is the best way to go, and heated apparel eliminates bulk.

Last edited:

Oh, its heavy! IF weight is your concern look at Fox Creeks Lite Jackets. I live in Central Florida and own the Classic jacket. This time of year its great. Zip in lining and zippered vents. Summertime, I only wear it for long hauls along with chaps. As others have said heavy is the way to go when it comes laying it down.

Bodeen

One company I haven't seen mentioned is a small New England outfit Walter Dyer I have one of their jackets for 20+ years and it is still in great shape.

Having said that, leather looks cool and has been the answer for many years, but a lot of long distance riders are switching to textile. Why is that? Textile can be waterproof, ventilated, lined, has superior protection and is light weight. I never thought I'd change but after trying on a Tourmaster jacket I was sold. I still love my leather, but only wear it ocasionally usually when I'm not riding. The textile is the best thing I've found for an all weather jacket, especially for the quick rain storms. No more stopping to put on the rain suit, cause I'm already wearing it.

Actually, I've had two HD leather jackets & very pleased w/both. Heard lots of good things about Fox Creek - never tried them. Current HD jacket was close to 1/2 off (online) so hope it continues providing years of riding comfort...we'll see.

Back