decel vibration felt in handle bars

Discussion in 'Dyna Models' started by heythereuthere, Jul 18, 2011.

1. heythereuthere

heythereuthere Member

08 dyna fxd has a very bad shake on decel between 40 and 50 mph. Bought with 85 miles on it and now has over 15000. Has always had this problem but has got a little worse. Front tire is slightly cupped. A mechanic has sugested that changing the fork oil and adding a spacer might help. Any suggestions guys?

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

The cupped tire isn't helping things out much. You may want to check the front end and see if everything is tight and straight. I don't think adding a spacer will do much of anything for you.

How's the balance on the front tire?

At 15K changing the fork oil would be a good thing to do in any event.

3. heythereuthere

heythereuthere Member

I used dyna beads for balace. They helped at first with the vibration.
    [​IMG]

4. glider

glider Veteran Member

I prefer to have the wheel balanced with wheel weights but the cupped tire will give you some strange vibrations all on it's own.

Have the front tire balanced and possibly changed if the cupping is noticable.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  5. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Replace the front tire, once you have cupping it will not go away and will cause vibration even if the tire is balanced

6. heythereuthere

heythereuthere Member

Thanks for the quick advice guys.

7. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

Just happened to a member complaining about this same thing....... Turned out to be Motor Mounts...

Check there also:s.

signed....BUBBIE

8. gator508

gator508 Senior Member

Had a similar problem at 35-45mph on my 08 softy. As others mentioned, get a new tire and have it balanced. If that doesn't solve the issue then maybe look into the fallaway adjustment, it solved the problem with my bike.