free website stats program decel vibration felt in handle bars | Harley Davidson Forums

decel vibration felt in handle bars

08 dyna fxd has a very bad shake on decel between 40 and 50 mph. Bought with 85 miles on it and now has over 15000. Has always had this problem but has got a little worse. Front tire is slightly cupped. A mechanic has sugested that changing the fork oil and adding a spacer might help. Any suggestions guys?

The cupped tire isn't helping things out much. You may want to check the front end and see if everything is tight and straight. I don't think adding a spacer will do much of anything for you.

How's the balance on the front tire?

At 15K changing the fork oil would be a good thing to do in any event.

I used dyna beads for balace. They helped at first with the vibration.
WAP.gif

I prefer to have the wheel balanced with wheel weights but the cupped tire will give you some strange vibrations all on it's own.

08 dyna fxd has a very bad shake on decel between 40 and 50 mph

Have the front tire balanced and possibly changed if the cupping is noticable.

Last edited:
Replace the front tire, once you have cupping it will not go away and will cause vibration even if the tire is balanced

Had a similar problem at 35-45mph on my 08 softy. As others mentioned, get a new tire and have it balanced. If that doesn't solve the issue then maybe look into the fallaway adjustment, it solved the problem with my bike.

Back