free website stats program Decel popping | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Decel popping

Have you looked over the wiring on and around the starter where you heard the snapping sound coming from?

Possibly a grounded or even loose wire causing it.

Check the starter bolts for torque, and check the battery lead at the starter, they will corrode and loosen over time, clean and tight and a dab of dilectric grease:s

You posted this...
Turn the key hit the starter button and there is a snap sound,like an electrical arc near the starter.
It sounds like it doesn't pop until you hit the start button after turning the key on?

Try unplugging the small green wire on the solenoid and see if the fuse still blows when you hit the start button. The problem would be confined to the solenoid if it doesn't blow with the wire disconnected.

Removing the green wire at the solenoid should tell you if the problem is in the bike or the starter/solenoid and maybe save you some work.

Don't overlook a bad battery too. A shorted cell will give you some strange results. Maybe load test the battery before pulling your hair out.

Stokes, ALL good information on your problems....

On the popping
On MY 97 Evo,Dyna, I could Never get the Little noises out of the exhaust,,, I did Later put in "revisions cones" and that might of JUST re-sealed the exhaust Leak IF one was there.. Nothing was noticed after that...

Exhaust made a big difference on mine and the cones along with the Slow Jet change and adjusting it properly Made the difference..

BUT??? did I just have an Exhaust leak to start with?????

Now that was MY bike. Yours can respond differently.. Glider and the others are giving you the BEST answers and WE are lucky to have Members like above posting answers of the Quality shown here..

signed....BUBBIE

I did think removing the "hot" lead to the starter would eliminate the starter as the problem but looking at the schem I can see the solenoid is still downstream of that point.

Right, by removing the green wire you eliminate the solenoid as the source of the problem and can get into the wiring more thoroughly to locate the problem.

First off I want to thank everybody here who responded,especially glider.I have gotten to the bottom of things and it turns out it is the starter/solenoid after all.I also want to say sorry for the last rant,I was quite frustrated and got a warning from Dr Dolittle about an unacceptable acronym I used,I'll be more careful from now on.I want to tell you guys I had posted this on 2 other HD forums,but this site was the only place I got responses,this place is awesome.Lot of good knowledge right here.

We understand your frustration - we've all been there in one way or another. Just have to take a deep breath and review what you've typed before hitting the submit button.

Thanks for the compliment on our forum. I think the longer you hang around, contribute, and help others, the more you'll come to love it!

First off I want to thank everybody here who responded,especially glider.I have gotten to the bottom of things and it turns out it is the starter/solenoid after all.I also want to say sorry for the last rant,I was quite frustrated and got a warning from Dr Dolittle about an unacceptable acronym I used,I'll be more careful from now on.I want to tell you guys I had posted this on 2 other HD forums,but this site was the only place I got responses,this place is awesome.Lot of good knowledge right here.

Glad to help out where we can.
I think when you look at other forums you'll find the difference with our forum is that we don't have egos being puffed up here or grandstanding either and the lack of all the nonsense and meaningless posts that you find elsewhere just makes an answer easier to find.
Hope you get back in the wind soon.

Yeah,the other forums it seems that if someone asks about wearing a patch there are a thousand replies.Ask a tech question and you can hear the crickets.Have you ever heard of a supplier named "Stockers"?They have a starter for $169,or should I go with J&P for around $200?Gonna start tearing mine out tonight.

To be honest, I haven't heard of them but prefer the HD parts. (Not that I like the company, just the parts) :D

Back