free website stats program Decel popping and surge at cruise on 2012 Ultra | Harley Davidson Forums

Decel popping and surge at cruise on 2012 Ultra

My bone stock 2012 Ultra limited has MAJOR popping on decel from 2400 down to 1800 rpms and surges at same rpms on steady cruise. Surge is most noticed in lower gears like slight uphill in traffic at 25 mph. (very annoying!) It's been doing this since new and seems to be getting worse. I thought it might get better with some break-in miles but it hasn't. Took it to dealer Friday at 480 miles. They verified it, checked fuel pressure, checked for codes, updates, downloads and even replaced the mufflers with no change. Said a tuner would definitely fix it but after spending $25,000 I would think I shouldn't have to pay more to get it to run right. I probably will put a stage one on soon but I don't want them to blame it for any problems. I'm waiting to hear back from dealer on monday after they talk to HD. Anybody else with this problem?

Sounds like some sort of air leak either intake or exhaust. Let the dealer fix before doing anything else to bike. A brand new stock bike should not do that.

My bone stock 2012 Ultra limited has MAJOR popping on decel from 2400 down to 1800 rpms and surges at same rpms on steady cruise. Surge is most noticed in lower gears like slight uphill in traffic at 25 mph. (very annoying!) It's been doing this since new and seems to be getting worse. I thought it might get better with some break-in miles but it hasn't. Took it to dealer Friday at 480 miles. They verified it, checked fuel pressure, checked for codes, updates, downloads and even replaced the mufflers with no change. Said a tuner would definitely fix it but after spending $25,000 I would think I shouldn't have to pay more to get it to run right. I probably will put a stage one on soon but I don't want them to blame it for any problems. I'm waiting to hear back from dealer on monday after they talk to HD. Anybody else with this problem?

Wow sorry for your problems, No HD guru yet sounds like an intake or exhaust leak. Did they change the exhaust pipes are just the slip-on muffllers?

Being a new bike, I'd call the service dept and the salesman where you bought it and talk to them.
Could be a lean pop...........

Bottom line let the dealer fix it.

IF they don't get it into the shop to FIX it (not adding a fueler), find a different dealer.

Is that one the closest one?

Man, I can't see adding a HD fueler to a stock bike JUST to fix something that SHOULD be fixed STOCK in the first place.

I'd recommend a TFI or a Gen3 before the high $$ HD one. (HDT discount)

THEY Need to fix it STOCK and Not add anything like $$$ fueler on it to Make IT work right...

signed....BUBBIE

No problems with mine. Over 4K miles on her. She has a little lean popping on deceleration but as lean as they have these bikes running, that's expected. They can richen it up some with the computer. I wouldn't even THINK about a tuner on a stock bike to fix a lean condition. Sounds like an intake leak with the low speed surging and popping. Warranty! Make HD fix it!

On my 09 and probably all the newer TC bikes, HD shuts Off the fuel when you are Hard off throttle under compression,,, so the Lean motors they have out Don't get fuel to POP.

RPM's have to be up a little and when you totally let off throttle, you can feel the bike slowing a little faster for the fuel IS shut off. (no Popping)

Then you will feel it com'n on again at about 14/1500 RPM.

I can see on My gen4 the totally LEAN AFR on my gauge when it does this.

Lot of bikes don't know HD does this and wondered what the heck was going on when it happened.:small3d031:

Just for Information here.

signed....BUBBIE

I agree with everything that was said, it's not your PROBLEM it's Harley's. A new bike with 480 miles should run like a champ!

On my 09 and probably all the newer TC bikes, HD shuts Off the fuel when you are Hard off throttle under compression,,, so the Lean motors they have out Don't get fuel to POP.

RPM's have to be up a little and when you totally let off throttle, you can feel the bike slowing a little faster for the fuel IS shut off. (no Popping)

Then you will feel it com'n on again at about 14/1500 RPM.

I can see on My gen4 the totally LEAN AFR on my gauge when it does this.

Lot of bikes don't know HD does this and wondered what the heck was going on when it happened.:small3d031:

Just for Information here.

signed....BUBBIE
My 07 Ultra did that. It would have a nice gurgle/rumble on decel to about 2000 rpms, then the injectors would shut down and the exhaust quieted down. The 2012 does not do that.

Back