free website stats program decel popping 05 xlc1200 | Harley Davidson Forums

decel popping 05 xlc1200

06nighttrainIL

I just bought a 05 custom 1200 sportster with v&h side shots. I think it might have a carb problem since it has decel popping. It rides fine other than that. I was once told it was normal for some decel popping by a dealer. I know my 06 EFI does not do that, but that is a different animal. Any suggestions?

I just bought a 05 custom 1200 sportster with v&h side shots. I think it might have a carb problem since it has decel popping. It rides fine other than that. I was once told it was normal for some decel popping by a dealer. I know my 06 EFI does not do that, but that is a different animal. Any suggestions?

De cel popping can be as simple as an exhaust leak letting air in and igniting un burned gas or a lean condition in the carb

MY Opinion:

If jetting doesn't take care of the POP and it is not a Leak on either intake OR exhaust......

That type of exhaust usually requires a lot of MONKEY with jetting of the carb to get it Not to POP...

No real Hold Back on compression using the long OR short shots. They might sound good and loud but not designed for the normal HD rider Unless they have a good knowledge of jetting that carb.

EVEN the Shops have a time with it AS carbs are almost to far back for them to Remember...:s

Find a shop IF help is needed and the first thing to ask IS the tech a older one WHO understands carbs...

Changing exhaust to a Muffler'd style but Nice sounding will get away from the POP...

I use Python 3's on my 1200 sport/carbed and No PoP..... .048 small jet/.185 large one.
Not too lean and gets 50 mpg no matter the way I ride it. (well,,,maybe 49)

signed....BUBBIE

Not much back-pressure w/those side-shot pipes...I'm banking on an exhaust leak at the flange...

Back