free website stats program decec pop | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

decec pop

I put a K&N filter and SE II slip ons on my stock 88TC dyna at around 1,000 mi. Immediately began popping on hard decell only. was told a fuel tuner would probably get rid of it. Never got the tuner, popping never changed and I didn't notice any bad effects. Didn't like or dislike it, just never removed it.

well to add to this my ECM has been reflashed to a new map to match the 2-2 big radius and it has started to pop - i reflashed with my old map and it got better but its still there, i replaced the old exhaust gaskets and still nothing so i have a feeling i have an intake leak , time to search it out :D, last night my mate following me said everytime i decelerated 4-6" bright blue flames (like the british gas advert :))were coming out the the pipes whether it was popping or not, now i know when i decelerate the baffles glow orange hot enough to ignite unburnt fuel.

Hobbit I had a similar problem with a bagger it was a bad intake seal, good luck, Jack

well to add to this my ECM has been reflashed to a new map to match the 2-2 big radius and it has started to pop - i reflashed with my old map and it got better but its still there, i replaced the old exhaust gaskets and still nothing so i have a feeling i have an intake leak , time to search it out :D, last night my mate following me said everytime i decelerated 4-6" bright blue flames (like the british gas advert :))were coming out the the pipes whether it was popping or not, now i know when i decelerate the baffles glow orange hot enough to ignite unburnt fuel.
If you don't find a intake leak Hobbit, here's a old training chart I have, area #6 is the decel area of the fuel map, I would lean it out the in the VE tables then try it, if that doesn't work sometimes enriching the area will. Those big radius are some pretty short open pipes, so it should use a little different map then the old pipes.
tuningData1.jpg

Having carbureted induction, once I got the jetting, washers under the needle and put the baffles into my straight drag pipes no more carburetion or deaccel popping.

Just thankful I don't have the problem dealing with 2 and 3 dimensional mapping of EFI...the good news is there are plenty of guys here who can lend insight into how to make things right.

I have a 09 Low Rider with SE Breather and Vance and Hines Big Radius 2 into 2. I have a TFI installed. My problem is that when it's cool out (below 85 or so) I have no decel popping. When it's hot (above 90 or so) which it is mostly here in Texas, I get decel popping even when I am easy on the throttle. Is there any adjustment I can make on the TFI that will reduce or eliminate the decel popping?
Thanks for any suggestions.
JP

I live in Dallas and have mine tuned properly it dosn't pop. Get it tuned. If in Dallas get it done by Ed Dahir.

Unless you have raised compression on the engine 97 octane is to much for your ride.
Higher octane fuel burns SLOWER. It can not and will not make any more power in an engine not built to burn it and will cause other issue with how it runs. Some minor some major depends on other mods and how you ride

I'll agree here with Smitty...

MOST HIGH TEST----PREMIUM gasses HAVE LESS BTU's THAN the LOWER GRADE fuels of today....

HIGH TEST is HIGHER OCTANE numbers and FOOL a lot of people into thinking they are going to achieve POWER for their $$$ and the higher the rating the MORE POWER.. NO!

WRONG..... THE SLOWER BURNING HIGH OCTANE FUEL is that...... JUST SLOWER BURNING and is able to NOT EXPLODE UNDER THE HIGHER PRESSURE OF A MODIFIED HIGHER COMPRESSION engine....

I have run 217 lbs of static compression and even on 95 octane have had a problem with PRE IGNITION and some times KNOCK... 100+ octane OR OFF ROAD fuel NEEDED to achieve a good result for that motor....

Todays bikes usually can run on the MID_GRADE JUST FINE......
THE GOVT, has mandated all motors to comply with using REGULAR GAS and HD has all the FUEL SENSORS needed to keep it from KNOCKING and ruining their engine...

NOW with all that said I STILL USE 92 OCTANE in my stock 09 stage one FLHR.. GO FIGURE....
signed....BUBBIE

Very good point Smitty & Bubbie...even though HD manual says to run 91 ROe, I still go through the motions of finding out what Research Octane locally runs best in my machines. On my highly strung metric Katana, I had to run 91 Octane if I was riding in the hills (altitude and heat) or 2-up and full load, otherwise I could run 89 RO for my daily commutes (87 would ping if I "pinned" the throttle when accelerating strongly). The HD surprisingly enough runs on either 89 just fine under all conditions, 87 it pings if I accelerate in too high gear, so 89 RO is my local gas selection. If on the road ONLY use 91 RO, because I choose not to "experiment". Your ride, your choice.

Most of the newer bikes that require 91 do just fine on 93.
You can have issue when you start to push it much more.
Higher octane is needed in higher compression engines other wise fuel will fire to soon.
Just as to low of an octane in a higher compression engine will fire soon
Older cars we worked around this by playing with the timing, that gave you a little control over it. However that also led to other issues.
I've been using 93 octane from the get go. Not just on this bike but the others I have had as well. I thought everybody did and that was just the way it was.

So you are saying that putting 89 octane is better for my 08 Dyna?

Back