free website stats program debris | Harley Davidson Forums

debris

JJDH

this could be a general question as far as what is right or wrong, 2010 street glide, today i am changing the primary lube, when i pulled the plug the magnet had a small pile of dusty metal debris, a good pile of it, werent big chunks, this is the first pimary lube change. should i be concerned? the magnet was covered and mounded over

Right, your first fluid change has all the normal break in debris...from the gears and other crosshatch machine finish by products. It is similar to your engine bores wearing in to a work hardened finish by the chomium hardened rings during breakin. Kinda scary to look at it, but the key here is to do a subsequent change at another 500-1000 miles.

Right, your first fluid change has all the normal break in debris...from the gears and other crosshatch machine finish by products. It is similar to your engine bores wearing in to a work hardened finish by the chomium hardened rings during breakin. Kinda scary to look at it, but the key here is to do a subsequent change at another 500-1000 miles.
got it.. that is why i asked, because i just wasnt sure, thank you

After you get it broke in. It is in my opinion 1500 miles for all oil changes. That crud that you found is what can kill our rides. Oil still is cheaper, Or so I say.

today i am changing the primary lube, when i pulled the plug the magnet had a small pile of -- dusty metal debris, a good pile of it, werent big chunks,

What would scare me more than any thing would be the " _dusty_ metal debris" in the primary !!!! :D hahahahahaha ! Jus' messin' witch ya dude!!!!

nice, now if you would have waited to say just kiddn i would have been flippin out to find an answer..... good one..:bigsmiley22:

Yes Hdfan is correct, Ive have done my own test on the trannys , I am old school and use to always change all the lubes at 500 miles first time around then 2500 intervals for regular service , and yes the tranny magnet was full of metal always on my first change on all my bike, my dealer is excatly 30 mile from my home and the last 2 bike I bought I took the bikes rite home and changed all lubes at 30 miles and I have found that the magnet was just as covered with metal as when ive done it at 500 miles ,then I do all lubes at 250 miles and just the top of the magnet is covered with metal ,after that service I never find anything on the magnet . So I believe the meshing (breaking in ) of the gears happens in the first couple of miles, The other thing is that I have never experinced the 5th gear whine others complain about on the 6 speeds, but obviously the whine is real if it were not HD would have not changed to the Heli cut 5th gear for 2010. So I believe its never too early to change your lubes .

Although the 5th gear whine seems endemic with many riders with six speeds, it may have been eased if the gear lubes were changed out earlier in their lives and more often as you did Crocker...good food for thought for riders with new bike to do those 1st 3 or so lubricant changes a bit sooner than later...

Some fuzz on the plug is normal and ok you will find more the first few changes.
If you running syn3 in primary you may find more than if you run some of the other options like HD F+ or Spectro primary lube.

I run syn3 in the primary and I get very little fuzz on the drain plug. and I think I probably ride mine harder than most do.

i am runnin spectro in all 3 holes, i dont baby the bike, i figure i spent so much on the bike, i am gonna run it for all its worth:D

Back