free website stats program Death wobble question | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Death wobble question

The only wobble I ever had was on a 1985 Gold Wing. It was inherit in these bikes. Other than that in my 50 years of motorycling I have never seen or talked to the person themselves that experienced a Harley wobble. I was brought up by a lawyer looking to make a class actions suit. The lawyer always get all the money and the people a coupon.

Fossil we have never met face to face nor spoken, but I have seen your post and maybe you have seen some of mine. You now know at least one person who has experienced a speed wobble not once but twice on two different model Harleys. The first was on my '94FLSTC and I believe it was the result of the large windshield and two large trucks on the interstate. As I passed one of the trucks which was to my right I felt the wind rush in behind the windshield just before the wobble started. The second was on my '05FLTRI, and was started, I believe, by an irregular road surface, a tight left hand decreasing radius and excessive speed for condition of the road. I really don't think there is anything wrong with the design of the bikes, but I have installed a rear stabilizer on the FLTRI and have not had the wobble on any road surface at any speed.

At the risk of sounding like an old wheel;)
I've experienced both the Harley wobble/rear steer and the bad one. On mine, the rear steer is repeatable (I've got a medium left turn on my way to work where I can reproduce it - in the right lane doing 120 kph/75mph). The real wobble I've experienced twice - once 20 years ago on a Yamaha RD500 (two-stroke little beast) at 200kph (125 mph) and the second time on mine a couple of months ago at about 100-110kph (65mph). Both times I lived to tell the tale, and both times I was accelerating. Needless to say, I am now doing what I can to reduce the risk of it happening again: I am installing 2002-up rear swingarm probably with glide-pro bushings, install a 2000-up front wheel with new tyres and bearings and align the thing very carefully.

I dont know about a wobble but at 80+ my softail custom will weave in a bend however i have a mis match of tyres with a Metzler on the front and a d401 on the rear and there is not much tread on the Metzler
these tyres will be replaced before spring if it ever gets warm enough to get out to shed
I have experience a similar weave in the past on a bend at 130 when my tyres were rated up to 120
Owners manual said top speed 144.5 mph and from the factory came with tyres rated at 120 mph as 3500 miles was their life they were changed early for better tyres problem solved

Brian

Re: Death wobble example

Do not think that was a HD. And bet theres was more to why it did it.
Funny theres not a world wide thread on that bikes death wobble??

Well actually there are a few (many of them are for 4 wheel vehicles) but here is one on 2 wheeled vehicles.
Speed wobble - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The top five influences on wobble have been found to be lateral stiffness of the front tire, steering damper, height of bike center of mass, distance of bike center of mass from rear wheel, and cornering stiffness of the front tire

The thread that made me aware of all of this referred to another thread that I have not found on a search, but I did not spend a lot of time searching either as right now I have other issues going on.

I have had this happen only once on my Dyna without a windshield. Was still running the stock dunlop tire up front and it was showing some wear and begining to cup along the edges. Replaced with new Mich tires and never has happened again in the last 30k. It really got my attention when it happened and I felt like I needed to change my underwear. All in all, I believe that when a tire gets worn down in the center (squared off tread on the front) from mostly highway riding it raises the risk of this wobble. I now change the front tire a little sooner than before.

I have had this happen only once on my Dyna without a windshield ...... ..... Replaced with new Mich tires and never has happened again in the last 30k. It really got my attention .... .... I now change the front tire a little sooner than before.

Also how fast were you going?
Where you on a curve?
What do you think kept you from going down?

Some say to let go of the bars, others say to hit the throttle. I think most just need new underware like you.
I've read that in cases where the rider is thrown from the bike early on, the bike will straighten back up on its own and continue without the rider weight and shift going on.

Back