free website stats program "Death Wobble" in the news | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

"Death Wobble" in the news

speaking of crotch rockets, How come all these race bikes that go 200 mph don't have this problem?
... . .. .. .. ... ..

Some of them (crotch rockets) have had occurances of tank slap (not always the same as wobble depending on whom you are talking to). There is even a video of one on the web occurring during a road race event.

It has happened on many different brands and models (including English brands) with windshields and without. But admittedly there have been more documented cases with Pre 2009 Harley's than others.

To answer the question of why do you need one? I don't know that you do. I put one on as an insurance policy. I have gone down due to a hard brake and wobble on a rear tire (my fault not the bikes). I will do all I can not to repeat that experience (I missed being dead by about a foot). My next bike will have ABS. Wobble can happen for a variety of reason on a variety of bikes. Spokes, stearing head bearings, motor mounts, etc... Other bikes are not immune. A sport bike is not a Harley and vise versa. If people don't know the differences they should read up on it. I merely posted this so that others could learn from my experiences and when I get back I will post what they were. Cheers all. :)

Wonder if the news people will answer any of the questions I have flying around in my head right now. 1.Since it is almost impossible to know when the wobble will start how did they know to follow this bike? 2.Did someone contact them with a bike with this problem and if so was the bike taken to a qualified dealer to make sure the bike was within HD specs.? 3.Did the rider have to exceed the speed limit for the area? I would think if they single out HD they are looking for a lawsuit.
hi we get this a lot in the uk its due to the tar mac,or surface of road , scars the (Edit) out of you

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
This was most common on the Touring models which has supposedly been corrected (or smothen to say) on the chassi changes from '09 onwards. However we should never forget to drive safe speccially wnhe cornering.

2010 street glide speed wobble or flex?

I have a 2010 street glide. I am experiencing this wobble beginning slightly at 75mph. up to 100mph to 110 is a suicide run. I'm experiencing more like a flex than wobble with the bike. heading straight or leaning into a curve in the freeway lane it is a flex that seems to conflict between the front end, the forward frame tubes and rear weight of the bike. it is almost like there is not enough forward weight of the motor and frame verses the stock goose rake and front end or some (EDIT) like that.
All motor mounts good, front wheel true and bearings good; goose neck assembly and bearings good; rear wheel true and primary belt in line. Side bags empty and wife kicked to the curb, all good. This seems to be a design flaw where weight distribution of bike is in conflict to front end.
This is my first new bike and I spent 2 years as a contractor in Iraq with the Marine supply convoys embedded as recovery support in a wrecker, so this bike has deep personal meaning to me and wish to correct this safety problem.

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Sitting in Ghazni, Afghanistan checking out the "Wobble" issue. Hoping HD fixed the wobble problem with the new frame, etc. My 08 UC has nealy killed me three times and scared me several. My UC is ok riding the posted speed limit, unfortunately that is not the way I ride, 60 years old and never have. When I cannot hammer in a nice curve and grind the floor boards I will consider taking up walking. Had a 99 Road King, let it go with 89K, experienced some minor wobble a few times with the RK.

The 08 UC (30K) will not tolerate near what the RK would. Same curves same speed and almost dead. One thing I've noticed is counter steering will certainly throw it into a wobble with little speed in an adverse curve. I put the Bagger Brace on the last home, gained some confidence, tried a curve at 90 MPH, bike wobble walked across the right lane, across the left lane within 3 feet of banister, then regained some control back to the right. Tried high speed straight on InterState, @ 110 MPH began a violent wobble, not w/RK.

At the speeds you like to run, perhaps a dynamic balance of both front and rear wheels is needed. Static balance may be good enough for the rest of us not operating in the trans sonic speed range.

Sitting in Ghazni, Afghanistan checking out the "Wobble" issue. Hoping HD fixed the wobble problem with the new frame, etc. My 08 UC has nealy killed me three times and scared me several. My UC is ok riding the posted speed limit, unfortunately that is not the way I ride, 60 years old and never have. When I cannot hammer in a nice curve and grind the floor boards I will consider taking up walking. Had a 99 Road King, let it go with 89K, experienced some minor wobble a few times with the RK.

The 08 UC (30K) will not tolerate near what the RK would. Same curves same speed and almost dead. One thing I've noticed is counter steering will certainly throw it into a wobble with little speed in an adverse curve. I put the Bagger Brace on the last home, gained some confidence, tried a curve at 90 MPH, bike wobble walked across the right lane, across the left lane within 3 feet of banister, then regained some control back to the right. Tried high speed straight on InterState, @ 110 MPH began a violent wobble, not w/RK.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but if this is how you like to ride, why are you on a Harley? I now ride a 2010 FLHTK, and this is my first Harley. My previous tour bike was a 2001 BMW K1200LT. A 900lb motorcycle that thought it was a 400lb sport bike. It handled amazingly well. I also ride sport bikes, and was a licensed recer for a while.

Harleys are built for comfortable, easy, cruising. Not dragging pegs at speed in curves. The wobble issue proves this. While I love my Harley it does not have the locked on rails feel of the BMW. The slightest imperfection in a curve is announced with loud protest by the Harleys very basic suspension. Euro/Japanese bikes barely notice anything short of a pot hole. It's by design. While I plan to upgrade my suspension, and add a steering damper, I know my Harley will never handle like my BMW. I don't expect it to either.

Let your buddies on the Goldwings, BMWs, and sport bikes win the race in the twisties. The Harleys can then come along and help the guys that blew the curve get to the hospital. Or your friends can have a cold one waiting for you when you get to the pub.

Well, they way I see it that any motorcycle can do a "death wobble" at extreme speeds and lack of experienced riders. If you ride the bike to enjoy and respect the conditions and the roadway surface you should be fine. Why for a news station to single out Harley Davidson is just a plot to hurt them and jealousy over the fact that Harley is the number one bike!!!

Back