free website stats program "Death Wobble" in the news | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

"Death Wobble" in the news

Just look at Audi or Toyota unintended acceleration, neither of which could be proven. They will go to any length to get a headline.

Proven to 100% proof positive certainty or Proven beyond a reasonable doubt? I think it has.:)

Well that was a good video posted by SloppyBear.

That's it..... I'm selling my bike tomorrow and buying a moped. :D
And that news woman in the video is HOT!!!!! She looks like my next ex-wife.

You know they call them mopeds because the mo you peddle the faster you go.

I don't buy it, the frame isn't going to flex bad enough to get the wobble at 25 mph, something else was wrong with his bike or he was going a whole lot faster than what he said... Just doesn't add up...

Yep something had gone wrong. Too bad there could not be some sort of autotopsy done on the bike

There you go. I don't know the gentleman in the video, but there are too many riders out there that only check those things once a year or less. ... .. .. .. .... .. .. .

I have a question, I always do a pre-ride inspection but do you have to put a bike on a lift or jack up the rear tire to adquately check the swing arm bushings ? What is the best way to check for that ?

I'm going to read the self help now but if anyone wants to comment ?

There you go. I don't know the gentleman in the video, but there are too many riders out there that only check those things once a year or less.

I have experienced a very slight wobble at times but it only happens at high speeds 70mph+ on sweepers. If I'm riding easy or dragging the boards there seems to be enough tension in the chassis that it doesn't happen.

If the rider experienced a wobble bad enough to cause a crash at 25mph as stated in the video, road debris, equipment malfunction or rider error would be the only answer. It seems that the media will latch onto any excuse to beat up a major manufacturer. Just look at Audi or Toyota unintended acceleration, neither of which could be proven. They will go to any length to get a headline.

Most of media or news stories are not for educational purpose. They are to incite hysteria so that they get a larger viewing audience...The facts never have to be correct.

I have found if I chop off the throttle Quick even in the straits at 90 mph you feel a wiggle I try to let off if needed lightly..

Most of media or news stories are not for educational purpose. They are to incite hysteria so that they get a larger viewing audience...The facts never have to be correct.

Yes so true, unfortunately elections are run the same way.

R_W_B,
The bushings for Touring models is different from the rest. Have you been to the Glide-Pro site? It is a wealth of knowledge. Watch the videos. I learned a bunch.

Stabilizing System | Glide-Pro

Thank you so much my friend, I'm copying this link and going there this afternoon.

I have found if I chop off the throttle Quick even in the straits at 90 mph you feel a wiggle I try to let off if needed lightly..

Sounds like a good point. I haven't been to 90mph on 2 wheels since I was 25 yrs old. But I did get up to 85 mph just the other day testing my new windshield. So I will remember that.

I know it has absolutely nothing to do with this threads main topic but briefly I just wanted to say that since I have had my windshield (which I love and improves overall riding a hundred fold) I notice a bit more pull from Semi trailers as they pass me. I don't feel out of control but I do have to just ride it out as the vacuum kinda weaves my front end back and forth some.

I think the reason it's so dramatic with me is I ride staggered formation on PGR rides and you (are supposed to ) hug your side of the lane so as to allow keeping the formation as tight as possible so other traffic does not invade the formation (we are staggered but not by a lot). The problem is this puts you literally within 2 feet or a Tractor trailer rig doing 70mph and there is some affect on your ride, seemingly a bit more with a windshield. But I don't feel like I'm losing control at all. However I do feel I have to pay close attention to the ride in other words it's not a casual relaxing thing.

Yes so true, unfortunately elections are run the same way.

Thank you so much my friend, I'm copying this link and going there this afternoon.

Sounds like a good point. I haven't been to 90mph on 2 wheels since I was 25 yrs old. But I did get up to 85 mph just the other day testing my new windshield. So I will remember that.

I know it has absolutely nothing to do with this threads main topic but briefly I just wanted to say that since I have had my windshield (which I love and improves overall riding a hundred fold) I notice a bit more pull from Semi trailers as they pass me. I don't feel out of control but I do have to just ride it out as the vacuum kinda weaves my front end back and forth some.

I think the reason it's so dramatic with me is I ride staggered formation on PGR rides and you (are supposed to ) hug your side of the lane so as to allow keeping the formation as tight as possible so other traffic does not invade the formation (we are staggered but not by a lot). The problem is this puts you literally within 2 feet or a Tractor trailer rig doing 70mph and there is some affect on your ride, seemingly a bit more with a windshield. But I don't feel like I'm losing control at all. However I do feel I have to pay close attention to the ride in other words it's not a casual relaxing thing.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but after reading your concerns about the effect your windshield has on your riding I thought I would give you my perspective. I have a rather large windshield on my Heritage and I have felt the effect of being dragged/pulled by the draft of a large truck or motorhome. As you become used to the different feeling of having the windshield up front you will begin to relax and become used to the slight movement caused by the wind. I know I make a point to relax my grip when the wind begins to buffet the bike, this lets the bike find center faster. Once you become used to the windshield if you want to know if you really like it or not take it off and go for a ride where you will get to 60 or 70mph.

I don't want to hijack the thread, ... ... .. .. ... . . Once you become used to the windshield if you want to know if you really like it or not take it off and go for a ride where you will get to 60 or 70mph.

Thanks for the input Don, I will work on that implementation. But I can tell you I already know I want it ON ALL THE TIME. I don't even want to take it off even just long enough to test if I might not like. I LOVE IT. I'm overwhelmed how much I love it. I went in and told my wife when I got home yesterday to get out the map, we are expanding our riding radius. Now if I could just ride more than 50 miles without having to go deaf for the following 10 hours. But seriously I love it.

I now return this thread to the OP's original topic and I need to go read how to check my swing arm bushings.

Back