free website stats program Dealing with air turbulence | Harley Davidson Forums

Dealing with air turbulence

Whiterook

To kind of recap, I am a new rider (and I love it) of about 3 months and since changing from a Sportster to my Heritage Classic I have finally gotten comfortable riding at faster speeds, like 70 MPH. I was supprised at the effects of air turbulence from traffic. A vehicle in front of you produces a wake effect. And traffic going the opposite direction at high speed produces turbulence that you have to be ready for. I got brave enough to get on the Interstate and was amazed at the effects of 18 wheelers. The first time, I thought I was going to get blown off the road. Is this something that you just get used to? Are there any hints/rules on dealing with this? You veteran bikers are a great help for new riders like me and I appreciate your comments!!!

I had a 04 heritage , traded at 47K miles.. Bike works great up to say 85 then
its well , diffrent.. . 18 wheelers, stay away from them, as you approach,
it feels like the back is going to suck you in, as you pass the front you will get
some blow. Do what you feel comfortable with and nothing more.. Bike will react to dirty air if your riding in a pack, I found myself looking for clean air many times. Just remember you dont have to be first to get to the location,
but always get there. --chino

I ride a Heritage also, but have never had any negitive affects from the wind turblance. I do notice it but I guess I've gotten used to it (been riding over 30 years). Don't worry too much about it, if you want to you can move to the right side of the lane when you meet a 18 wheeler coming at you. And you should never be close enough to feel the wake of one in front of you.

Oh.........and congratulations on getting the Heritage!!! You'll love it!!!

Probably better if you stay off the interstate untill you've learned to handle the bike a little better. If you haven't ridden before or are just getting back to riding, maybe you should look into a motorcycle riding/safety course. Check your local Harley dealer or maybe at your nearest junior college. They can't give you experience but they can give you handling instructions and improve your confidence.

Golly I like a little wind on me...hence it is a cycle...Not a Blast, but some wind is fine and dandy with me. There is some wind that comes under my windshield...and it is just right! :D

Another quick note on turbulence. You mentioned the turbulence from oncoming semis. I'm not speaking about the interstate, but 2 lane highways with a cross wind. We live in a very windy area, and I always remind myself of wind direction before we embark. If you are riding so that the wind is blowing from left to right, you will get a huge BLAST after a semi passes you from the other direction. If not prepared, it can almost knock you off the bike. I know most of you have experienced this, but I just wanted to throw out a reminder to brace in this situation.
Doc

With time you will probably get comfortable with it. :newsmile048: If I'm riding alone, I usually move to the far side of the lane, for less of a "blast". :riderWhen other scooters with me, I slow down and still move towards the center of the lane, at least!....JMO:D I definitely recommend the MSF course.....It's all good info......

I took the Rider's Edge Course almost 3 months ago. It is well worth the money but we didn't get on the Interstate going 70. I was just wondering if there were any secrets. I mean, do you lean into it, slow down when you feel it, speed up to neutralize the effect of it or what? I appreciate the advise to this point. Evidently it's just one of those things where experience is the best teacher.

18wheelers still scare the heck out of me lol just stay away from them, slow down or wait for a clean pass but dont be near one if you can avoid it ;-)
wind is part of riding but a strong crosswind can push you quite abit. best to slow down to maintain control. the faster you go the less time you have to think about corrections and react.
thers no substitute for expirience ;-) in time you'll hardy notice it lol my thawts anyway, lots of riders in here with lots of wisdom

The interstate is a different animal compared to the two laners.Not only do you have to deal with the turbulance from larger vehicles you have to watch out for debris in the lanes and cagers with no mind for you. How you deal with comes with riding experience,and you get it by going out a little bit at a time.Ride Safe!

Back