free website stats program dealerships vs independent shops | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

dealerships vs independent shops

I'm lucky to have a good indy shop that does just what I ask (like mounting a tire and balancing) and I do most of the stuff myself unless I get into trouble.:worthy

Thanks Jack, my old set of wheels will need lots of TLC. So far, I have no reason not to trust and appreciate the dealer I bought the bike from. I can certainly change out my own fluids, but I will be needing tires and belts etc from time to time (hopefully nothing to much worse than that) and I spose I will go back to the dealer (about 60 miles away) UNLESS - I can get the same work done locally for less $$$. What do you think two new tires for the Heritage mounted should cost on average?

Well, of the respondents here, it seems to be pretty much 50/50 - HD Dealers vs Independent Shops for mechanical work. There also are many here that suggest doing your own wrenching. We would all save a ton of money IF we could do that. I guess the bottom line is finding a shop or dealer near you that is to be trusted. As always, a mechanic or shop/dealer that you trust is a rare find and one to be appreciated with your business. I will run with the HD Dealer that sold me the bike -- untill I find reason not too.

Bill

I have started to do as much of my own work as possible. Somethings I just do not have the tools or knowledge for, so it goes to the dealer. His shop is not perfect, I have caught them in a few mistakes, but they stand behind their work. If they mess it up, they will make it right. They are good people and I appreciate them being there when I need them. I'm just trying to reduce that need as much as possible.

My local dealer (Santa Maria, CA HD) is very good and I get a 10% discount because of my local HOG membership. My local independent shop costs slightly less but I have learned that I need to schedule any work several days or a week or two in advance. They have just one mechanic and he is pretty busy. If he is ill, then the wait is even longer. My local dealer can usually get me in the same day I call or within 2 days of my call. (I'm all thumbs when it comes to things mechanical or I would do some of the work myself.)

This is true for me as well. The closest dealer to me has a great service dept. Prices are only a bit higher than my local Indy. I have actually had small problems and was told just bring it up when you get time and will fix it for you while you wait. I like my local Indy he is well respected but only one mechanic does make for a wait some times. He gets all my aftermarket work, dealer still gets the service for warranty sake until it's gone.

I have started to do as much of my own work as possible. Somethings I just do not have the tools or knowledge for, so it goes to the dealer. His shop is not perfect, I have caught them in a few mistakes, but they stand behind their work. If they mess it up, they will make it right. They are good people and I appreciate them being there when I need them. I'm just trying to reduce that need as much as possible.
They are good people and I appreciate them being there when I need them. I'm just trying to reduce that need as much as possible.

Now that is a good attitude to have - I think I will adopt it for myself.

Bill

I've dealt with two dealers here in Minnesota (Elk River and St.Cloud) and have nothing but good things to say about them.
I've built 450hp into my 455 Buick MYSELF and will do everything myself on that, but I'll leave the Harley stuff to the Harley professionals.

Back