free website stats program dealerships vs independent shops | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

dealerships vs independent shops

Here is some food for thought. I live in Phoenix, AZ and the shop where I rebuilt my engine (top and bottom) is just down the road from one of the two MMI (Motorcyle Mechanic Institutes) in the country - the other is in Orlando, Fl. These schools supply the certified motorcyle (including Harley) mechanics in the country. :( A vast number of students from MMI come into the shop - faculty know the owner and recommend the place, they get a 10 % discount, it's a place to go during lunch, occasionally they see a female working on her own rather big bike or something else (ahem, that's me :newsmile040: if you missed it!), or whatever brings them in. Well, IMHO, I would not ever :nosad , and I mean NEVER :no , let ANY of those individuals Touch My Bike. (One even knocked my bike over :bigsmiley19: - fortunately I was not in the vicinity when it happened but I did see them picking her up!!!! :newsmile055: ) And the things they say about the instructors - ugh. Now, I have to say, I don't meet them all, but those that I do, They scare me!!! :26: The real trick, finding, out of those few good ones, the one or two that land in the shop near you.

CatWoman :rider

Like nogoslim said, buy the books and learn them and know your scoot inside out, those dealerships, or indy's won't be out on the road with you if something goes wrong. I found a indy close by like 2 miles from my work, matter of fact he use to work at the same shop as me, just until he got his hd schooling done. hes a good ole country boy knows what he is doing and honest, will give info to anyone for free, he did tell me its a good idea if you work on your own scoot, to go to a certifeid mechanic every two or three maintainences just to have them double check everything.. sounds like good advice to me.

I have very mixed feelings on this topic.

First and foremost, I will echo what everyone says about getting a service manual and doing routine maintenance and mods for yourself. If you've never done this type of thing before, take it real slow, read the appropriate manual section many times, refer to this forum's self help section, and allow your confidence to grow at its own pace. In the beginning, don't rush anything or tackle anything way over your head without help.

For warranty issues you obviously have to head for a dealer. If you have several to choose from in your area, that's where you have to do your homework and decide which one to use.

For non warranty stuff or if your bike is out of warranty, a quality independent mechanic is worth his or her weight in gold. You'll usually be able to have a very unbiased discussion about whatever concerns you without getting the MOCO pat answers thrown at you constantly. However, indies are not infallable either. Mine wired my oil temp gauge incorrectly and when I broke down and took it to the dealer for a look, I had a voice mail that my bike was ready before I even got home! Also, a lot of indies work out of their homes or small shops and aren't as flexible on scheduling your service - they simply don't have as much room as a dealership.

Ask around where you live - word of mouth from your fellow riders is the best way to find a reputable mechanic, whether it's a dealer or independent.

+1 on what "Smitty 901" said...
You can do most of the services, certainly the oil changes. However you, must shop around, and ask those questions.
I'm lucky, to have several dealerships, as well as indy's, in my area. In Dec 2007, when I purchased my (used) 2005 Road Glide, that is EXACTLY what I did. I went and asked questions. here are MY results:

HD dealer in town...$400 per 10k service
HD dealer I purchased from $200 per 10k service (dealership owned by same company, closer to home same price)
HD dealership 45 minutes east, $200 per 10k service

Indy dealership nearest my home $300 per 10k service (leave bike for week or more)
Indy dealership 10 miles from home $200 per 10k service

HD dealerships (all) Tires at MPRP +/- 10-20% + $65 mounting
Nearest indy OEM tires only at MSRP +$65 mounting
10 mile away indy internet pricing, +$65 mounting.

So, I've discovered, I take my bike to Shelton's HD, in Durham NC for major services (20k & 50K)
Twin Specialities in Raleigh NC for tires.
Oil changes, and minor services, in my garage.

On the other hand, my neighbor paid a local HD dealership a few grand for a "service contract" he gets EVERYTHING done for "free", that includes tires, oil, heck.... he had a pair of Rhinhart mufflers replaced, and... he gets a "loaner". He will re-coup his cost, and then some.

Personally, I don't understand the term "stealership". We are not forced to buy items from just one place, (unless you are in Guam). We are free to buy wherever we wish. Whether cars, appliances, clothes, whatever. Do the math, ask the questions,make your own decisions

I have the Harley shop manual, Clymer manual and the parts book. The parts book gives a nice visible breakdown. There is plenty of information on this site as well as the rest of the Web. I've decided to make working on my bike part of the whole riding experience, something to be embraced rather than something to be avoided. It may take longer the first time I am serving a particular component but each successive time goes more quickly. I’ve found it is also important to be in the right frame of mind while I am working on it. If I am in a hurry then I wind up making stupid mistakes which cost time or money.
A while back I took my wheels to a dealer I haven't used for service to mount new tires as a test for more costly repairs. It cost me $180.00 for 2 hours work and when I got home home(30 minutes one way) the rear tire was mounted in the wrong direction. When I brought it back I had to convince them it really mattered how they were mounted. This time it only took 15 minutes to mount it correctly. Can you imagine the legal implications if I would have been in an accident? Needless to say they failed the test and I won't be going back for more serious repairs. So my point is if you are thinking of using someone you haven't tried before be skeptical and give them something simple to do and see how it goes.
Hope it helps - Bob

My my - I really got some good information here. Thanks to all that responded. Many do their own wrenching - some dont. For me, the bottom line seems to be - test the waters - ask around for others advice on local mechanics - pick the shop you rate as best and run with them until they "fail the test - loose your trust" --- I will be doing all my own "simple service" such as oil changes/lubes etc, - major stuff goes back to the dealer or indy of my choice. I too purchased the extended warranty - 2 years. Surely I must be allowed to change my own oils? The dealer I bought from said to bring the bike back every 5k miles for service - remember it's a 2001 with 43k miles.

One note of interest here - I posted about having to jump start the bike after only ~50 miles after buying it -- then the engine lite came on - I called the Dealer and told him everything - they came to my house - about 75 miles one way, picked up the bike and took it back to the Dealer shop and replaced the battery and checked out all the charging system - ok. Then trailered the bike back to me another 150 mile round trip. I thought this was mighty dang fair of the dealer!! So far, this dealer has not disappointed me. All they have to do to get my respect - is do what they say they will do.

Thanks again for everyone's input here. Nice thread/information.

Bill

I think what we are all dealing with is that our bikes are extremely important to us. When we have a bad experience, this is quite serious and can be life threatening (i.e. mounting a tire in the wrong direction -- Wow, Bob!) , it really sours us.

The old adage, one rotten apple, however in this case maybe there is more than one 'bad apple'.

Just ride safe and ride a safe ride, where ever you get the service done!

CatWoman :rider

Last edited:
Billbo u can change your own fluids just keep your reciepts in case the stealers want proof sounds like u have a top notch dealership good luck

I will get run over on this one because I will be the only one on this side of th issue.
There are a lot of good honest dealers that know your bike well when you need them.
Over time with the help of this site and your service manual you can learn to do most of your own service and repair work.
There are some good indys out there they are IMO few and far between. They would be lucky if they knew half what they think they did and are the cause of so many used HD on the road that are a mess.
Dealer or Indy know who your dealing with. For my bikes when I can not or do not want to do it go to a HD dealere never had an issue.
Pick either dealer or indy by how long they been in that location, how long have the people worked there. A dealer with high turn over in the shop or bought out a while back would make me worry. same with an indy who runs it who does the work how long they been ther not some made up number of years doing this work( well he just started here but he's been build Hd's for 10 years).
Do you home work before you turn that bike over to anyone.

I'm in agreement with your view.
I just want to add, HD dealers are independent owners of dealerships just like car dealers.
If they didn't invest huge amount of money to make a profit, you and I would think them as fools.
That said, they have a very upscale appearance and the finest display bar-none. (our jewelry, if you will)
HD dealers are an asset to any community, it's a pleasure to have them.
They pay tax on an expensive piece of real estate
We need to remember they are in business just like any other retailer.

I, for one appreciate the conveniences they offer.

Al

:USA
:CONNECTICUT

I will do all the work I can myself on my scooter, but honestly, with these new bikes and the computer stuff, these techs are trained so well, I don't think that these small shops keep up the way the Harley dealers do, I prefer to have someone who is trained for Harley to work on my scooter. Besides, I went to a shop yesterday for a part, the same part as Harley was more expensive! First time I ever heard of that. So in my case they are not cheaper than using a dealer.

Back