free website stats program Dealer's extra charge | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Dealer's extra charge

Jeff are you going to change both tires? Looking at the reviews most I found are just after replacement of tires which is not a great indicator for all bikes ride and handle great with new tires. There was a couple of long time long distance Harley riders and they stated that they would never go back to Dunlop. I am also coming do for 2 new tires and starting to scratch my head also....:eek:

Rear needs replacement soon but front is good yet. My plan is to replace both eventually with something other than Dunlop but am going to start with the rear. I know Michelins were top of the line on cars and trucks but have never had them on a scoot.

Rear needs replacement soon but front is good yet. My plan is to replace both eventually with something other than Dunlop but am going to start with the rear. I know Michelins were top of the line on cars and trucks but have never had them on a scoot.
Just remember that having 2 different compounds and tread designs on scoot may cause a negative reaction / effect to disliking both types of tires. Also remember that even if the tires were the exact same size because they are made by different MFG. they are going to size slightly different. I believe the cross over for the Michelin rear is a 140/90 B 16. I can not seem to figure out front. Possibly 130/90 B 16 You may also want to compare load rating of the 2 different brands.

From what i've read and seen is more riders are cross matching tire brands. I understand keeping the same tire size is important but what's more important is not to mix a radial with a bias tires.

I've never ran radials, heard good and bad about them.

Radial tyres have a softer sidewall that will flex when used the flexing of the sidewall allows the tread to have better contact with the road surface therefore a harder compound can be used and still get good grip higher pressures are usually required
Bias or cross ply have a much stiffer carcase and require a softer compound for good grip sidewall is normally straight rather than bulged like a radial

Brian

Ok, thanks. Guess i'll do some more homework before I pull the trigger.

I have several thousand miles on these and they still handle great. I wouldn't hesitate to use them over the Dunlaps.... I did change them one at a time. I did not fall for the "you need to change them both or you will run head on into the first tree" bit.

I have several thousand miles on these and they still handle great. I wouldn't hesitate to use them over the Dunlaps.... I did change them one at a time. I did not fall for the "you need to change them both or you will run head on into the first tree" bit.

Thanks Jeff, i'm leaning strongly in that direction.

As Jack says it your ride you decide. But through experience and working at a motorcycle shop I have always tried to have the best educated customer so that they end up satisfied. Basically you can run whatever tire you want. Remember the threads about car tires on the rear and those who have run them would not run anything else. They never crashed into a tree. Anyways, the best part is sharing experiences both positive and negative and is the not what forums and message boards all about. Just because something works for you does not mean it will work equally for another.

Just sayin that I wouldn't let the counter troll who thinks he knows everything at the HD dealership talk me out of another multiple hundreds of dollars just to make my tires match. Doesnt mean that you should not be careful and get the feel of what is going on first but most would do that with two new tires anyway. Chances are pretty good that the other tire will be changed in the not so distant future anyway.

I think Smitty was the one that always used the "Your ride, you decide" phrase. Not taking anything away from Jack of course.....

Just sayin that I wouldn't let the counter troll who thinks he knows everything at the HD dealership talk me out of another multiple hundreds of dollars just to make my tires match.

I think Smitty was the one that always used the "Your ride, you decide" phrase. Not taking anything away from Jack of course.....
You are exactly correct Jeff. The parts counter guys at dealer are usually very under knowledge as to the real workings of Harley and only repeat what they have learned at dealer which is why a lot of guys like you and I hate to go to dealers for putting up with the non technical jargon they try to push is a tremendous waste of time. Like for instance the one time I went to dealer with part number for O.E. plugs and the counterman tried to up sell me to the Screaming Eagle plugs with all the benefits I would receive by using those plugs. Or when I had IPB replaced at dealer and when asked what caused failure I was told it was nothing that I did. When asked why replacement part number was the same as part that failed they could not come up with a good answer. Thankfully I knew the tech that worked on my bike and replaced IPB and knew job would be done correctly which is the only reason I had bike repair at dealer.
I think the overall subject of this thread is about how much a dealer charges for services, and how shocked one can be when getting a repair done at dealer. Though most of us purchase tires off the web and have them installed by a Indy or someone other than a dealer.

I think the overall subject of this thread is about how much a dealer charges for services, and how shocked one can be when getting a repair done at dealer. Though most of us purchase tires off the web and have them installed by a Indy or someone other than a dealer.
Shocked is a mild way to put it. With their extra charge it effectively put their shop rate at $135/hr. With taxes it was pennies over $196 and that's with me removing and installing on the bike.. That's still less than I saved buying online vs purchasing tires from them. But their people are great to deal with.

Back