free website stats program Dealer tech says needs rejet | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Dealer tech says needs rejet

Here the recommendation of a Sporty guy(not me,altho I love em)on a 2006 883. He says for a baseline 42 pilot use the 06 needle that came with the bike 2 1/2 turns out from gently seated on the air mix screw and a 170 main thats with the "tax paid" (freeflow breather and pipes). A 46 pilot for an 883 IMO is too fat, I've had a 1200 Sporty with breater and pipes with flowed heads and it screams and it has a 45 pilot and 190 main.

Are you talking about the heads of the screws or the threads inside? If just the heads are stripped it's not to big of a deal,the threads are another story :small3d015:

Those screws are soft so you'd strip the heads on them before ruining the threads in the carb body,hopefully thats what you did. You can either cut a slot in the screw head and use a blade screwdriver to get them out or use a manual impact driver if the heads aren't completely rounded off, get a buddy to hold the carb steady and tap the driver to break them free.

just the philips head of the screw not the threads. the carb is still on the bike, so access is not that great. I guess I got a little carried away, as I was removing the grout and caulking on my bathroom with brute force, right before working on the bike, I'll try a couple of the recommendations. Hopefully I won't have to pull the carb, though it for sure would be easier to work on it with it off, but then I would be venturing into new territory. Where at least I removed the float bowl once before. I think the screws took some abuse when I tightened them that time.

Just rejetted my 2000 FXDL with what Harley sold me, a 48 slow jet and a shorter but stiffer slider spring. I had already added Gliders 2 #4 washers on the needle and now the bike runs good, after a 100 mile ride today the new slip-ons have finally begun to develop some color going from chrome to lightly sooted. Pipes have about 800 miles on them and now looking good.

I think you will find the spring isn't stiffer but weaker than the stock spring so the slide can raise faster. The 48 jet is a bit large for that bike too.

Some clip a coil or two off the stock spring but I find the stock spring using the washers under the needle gives a nice transition between the fuel circuits.

Thanks Glider for the info. I tried to get a 46 from local Harley and was told "this is what we use". Needed it to be fatter and used their parts. I have to say it is running better and certainly richer, but not yet to a fault.

Back