free website stats program Dealer statement about slip on exhaust and warranty | Harley Davidson Forums

Dealer statement about slip on exhaust and warranty

Johny5

Alright; I've been looking a bit for a set of slip on exhaust for my '08 Nightster. I called a local dealer to see if they have anything in stock as I am impatient and do not want to wait on shipped parts. During a lengthy discussion with the service person I was informed that:

"If you put anything other than S/E II sip on exhaust on this bike it will run lean unless a fuel control system is added. Should I choose to go with something other than HD slip ons and have engine issues due to running too lean they will not uphold my warranty as they are able to tell it was running too lean"

This guy continues to tell me that the SE exhaust will most likely not provide the sound I am looking for, and this is why they do not stock this pipe. Sound is the primary thing I am after here, but I do not want to void my warranty as I am under a buy-back program. I have read many posts, both here and elsewhere, about people installing aftermarket slip on exhaust with out any issue. Does any one have A:F data to suggest this is not an issue? If so, what slip on did you use? Furthermore, does anyone have an experience such as this with a dealer? I'm thinking about checking with some other local dealers, but expect to get similar replies.

I really like this bike, but am not sure that I will keep it as my wife continues to show increasing interest in riding with me. This is why I do not want to go with a complete exhaust upgrade - money spent on upgrades is not covered under the buy back program.

Any info or advice is greatly appreciated.:D
Thanks,
J5

Thanks for the input.

And... sorry all, looks like I dropped this in the wrong forum :11:

Mod. Please move if necessary.

The SE II are the good slipons that aren't made any more. The SE slipons are not that loud as said. You do need some fuel added to prevent damage and an exclusively lean AFR. They told you right there.

Cycle shack are a close second for slipons like the SE II models but also need more fuel added too.

My dealer told me I probably wouldn't be satisfied with the SE slip-ons sound wise. I asked him if I had any other alternatives. He said he could get me the Rush slip-ons. I asked about warranty. He said 'no problem, I'll take care of you'. Guess it kinda depends on who your dealin with.
Dorr

My dealer told me I probably wouldn't be satisfied with the SE slip-ons sound wise. I asked him if I had any other alternatives. He said he could get me the Rush slip-ons. I asked about warranty. He said 'no problem, I'll take care of you'. Guess it kinda depends on who your dealin with.
Dorr

Was the "no problem" remark made with the intent of the HD shop putting them on or was you doing the work??

Either way. As it turned out I didn't go with the Rush. I ran it stock for a while and 2 weeks ago I put V&H BigShot longs, V&H fueler and an Stage 1 air box. I'm not the only one he's taken care of. That's one of the reason I bypassed 9 dealers that were closer to buy the bike from him.

I have an 07 Nightster I recently purchased with about 800 miles on it with just screaming Eagle slip-ons and I've noticed some blueing of the exhaust headers. Is this the cause? (The slip ons) I'm about due the first service. Are they going to hassle me about the slip-ons and the warranty?

What can I expect done at the first service?

Thanks!

MVH

Dorr

I spoke with a different dealer and got the same recommendation, the Rush slip ons. This dealer told me that I would also need an upgraded air cleaner and a download. The air cleaner makes sense, but not the download? I've read multiple posts about the download not affecting the AFR. What other purpose would the download serve as it relates to exhaust? Moreover, the first dealer I spoke with said that if you get the race download it is registered with HD and your warranty would not be upheld as they assume you are going to race the bike. Seems a bit odd that one dealer would tell me not to do something and another would provide just that as a valid alternative?? Sounds like it does very much depend on who you're dealing with! Is anyone familiar with sound from the Rush slip ons?

Thanks,
J5

I spoke with a different dealer and got the same recommendation, the Rush slip ons. This dealer told me that I would also need an upgraded air cleaner and a download. The air cleaner makes sense, but not the download? I've read multiple posts about the download not affecting the AFR. What other purpose would the download serve as it relates to exhaust? Moreover, the first dealer I spoke with said that if you get the race download it is registered with HD and your warranty would not be upheld as they assume you are going to race the bike. Seems a bit odd that one dealer would tell me not to do something and another would provide just that as a valid alternative?? Sounds like it does very much depend on who you're dealing with! Is anyone familiar with sound from the Rush slip ons?

Thanks,
J5

First off, the Rush slip-ons sound fairly good IMO. They do have the advantage of multiple choices in baffle sizes and likewise a difference in sound (volume). When I was considering the Rush slip-ons I was told if I went with the smaller baffles (1.5 or 1.75") and left the air box stock, the stock ECU should be sufficient. Any larger and SE air box and SERT or some type of piggy-back fueler was recommended.
As far as HD assuming a 59 year old man is going to race a Heritage softail, :bigsmiley31: I think my dealer was smart enough to know that wasn't in the plan.
You can check out the Rush systems at epiflex.com They also have sound bites you can listen to, but obviously not quite the same as the real thing. Talk to the dealer that recommended them to you and find out if anyone near you has them, and let 'em know you'd like to hear them.
Good luck...Ride Safe
Dorr

Back