free website stats program Dealer has me worried about my break in | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Dealer has me worried about my break in

Bounce her off the rev limiter a few times and she'll be just fine..

Seriously, just ride it. Enjoy it. and stop worrying about it...

My 07 Fat Boy got beat like a red headed step child and never one problem. My truck got hooked to a 10,000 lb trailer with less then 100 miles on it and she's never had a problem. Although I don't recommend that one... Modern technology, metalurgy, and engineering is a wonderful thing.

35+ years ago grandpa bought a new case tractor, some thing he did not do often but he needed it.
The darn thing used oil Grandpa was not happy. Dealer kept saying give it time to seat in. Well first season it did not change a bit.
The next year Grandpa hooked it to a 3 blade plow set the blades as deep as they would go he started out in a low gear then shifted up till the engine was pegged on temp and the exhaust pipe was glowing like a Hd in summer.
After that day the tractor never used a drop of oil out side normal use again.
He figured he would fix it or blow it up .(Warning do not hook your HD to a plow and try this)
Todays engines are a bit different I have rarely seen one that did not seat in.
I have always broken mine in by riding them very the speed and never had any problems with any of them.
I have never broken in a new car any different than I drive it everday had no problem with them either

Smitty, like your caveat about not hooking up your HD to a plow...like that would ever happen.
But ya know, just thinking out loud...a V-Twin on song at 6,000 RPM does have a lot of torque...:small3d002:

Got an 89 evo motor with 265,000 miles on it. Broke it in just like Glider said, well, maybe just a little faster. Took it out for a stroker engine, but its on the bench, and i wouldn't be at all afraid of putting it in and going across the country right now. Used regular oil first 500 miles,then syn after. Never burned or leaked a drop, has never been opened up, not even problems with the base gaskets.You have nothing to fear, just change the oil on time. Just my two cents.:D

The truth lies somewhere in the middle.Dealers and MoCo want the bike to break after warranty is over.I want it to break next day after purchase or never.Dealer wants you to buy lotsa parts and oil and service.I want to have a maintained ride without going broke.Being around these forums is not gonna hurt.I see it as a place to learn.I have had all the cars trucks and toys,bikes and boats etc.All of them have experienced a shake down cruise,they all lived.

Just make sure you enjoy them,cause the rest home is getting closer each day.

Back