free website stats program Dealer has me worried about my break in | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Dealer has me worried about my break in

I broke in my new 09 Ultra the traditional way before I read this particular thread but then I got to thinking (always dangerous), before I picked up the bike I had them instal a stage 1 including dyno time and a SE Super Tuner so this bike has been run to redline within the first 15 miles. Doesn't that pretty much fit in with what Glider and others recommend?

I broke in my new 09 Ultra the traditional way before I read this particular thread but then I got to thinking (always dangerous), before I picked up the bike I had them instal a stage 1 including dyno time and a SE Super Tuner so this bike has been run to redline within the first 15 miles. Doesn't that pretty much fit in with what Glider and others recommend?

Similar in some respects that the eddy brake on the dyno would slow it down like decelerating would but I am surprised that the dealer would dyno a new bike and not tell you to come back after a thousand miles or so. Most dealers wouldn't do it to a new motor.

Similar in some respects that the eddy brake on the dyno would slow it down like decelerating would but I am surprised that the dealer would dyno a new bike and not tell you to come back after a thousand miles or so. Most dealers wouldn't do it to a new motor.

Actually they did! Bringing it in for the 1K service next week and they going to relook at it then.

I worked as a mechanic at a Ford dealership for a lot of years and was always amazed by some of the wing-nuts that would wander through the doors. Its amazing how many "experts" are out there who have never turned a wrench but they heard something from somebody somewhere so it must be true.

That being said, I always enjoyed talking to people first hand, especially when they had a concern or issue as it made problems much easier to diagnose. I was also always willing to share my knowledge with people who were interested in learning.

I suppose I could have opened my own shop but I watched my dad work 24/7 with his business and there is something to be said for having regular time off, not worrying about overhead expenses, personnel issues etc. etc....

As for proper break-in, I certainly don't have any concerns about Gliders method. Any method is fine so long as you vary the engine rpm and load, don't overheat the engine, and most importantly, don't lug the engine. Modern big twins like to spin, both during, and after break-in.

One of the most important points is the oil change. Always better to change it sooner rather than later in order to flush out any debris.

Enjoy your new machine! Your biggest concern at this point should be deciding where to go on your next riding adventure!:D

O.K. now I'm scared. I bought my Harley this year and broke it in per the dealer's spec's. Don't go over 55 and take it easy the first 500 or so miles.
Now, I'm I going to run into trouble because I babied my baby the first 1000 miles. I have 1400 miles on her. Is there anything I can do now to help with the rings seating, or is it to late?

You could load the rings up by doing the break in mentioned above and it may effect a better seal but chances are that they are not set as good as they could be already. Wouldn't hurt in any case.

No your will be just fine and so will your bike service it and ride it
Some newer HD riders get way to rapped around the axel about some of this stuff HD's are a lot toughter than many give them credit for.

You could load the rings up by doing the break in mentioned above and it may effect a better seal but chances are that they are not set as good as they could be already. Wouldn't hurt in any case.

Look here --- 2 different points of advise and both are right on!! THATS WHY THIS PLACE IS GREAT!!!!

Back