free website stats program Dealer Handling Charge | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Dealer Handling Charge

Buy a new bike at this time of year, winter setting in, whether it be a 10 or a 11 reducing inventory is the goal. A $60 book stands in the way of a $24000.00 sell, you will more than likely get your shop manual.

Buy a new bike at this time of year, winter setting in,

You do have a point about the cold weather getting you a deal. Where I am the weather really does not have as much effect on sales & I was not even thinking about that part at all... If it snows where Jackloganbill lives, he just may be able to cut a Great deal.:)

Surely does not hurt to try. Even if the deal feels good to the buyer it kinda makes ya feel better about it being the buyer. I always feel good if I get a better deal. I think everybody does. Can't get a deal if ya don't haggle. All they can say is no.

those "extra" charges are all optional for the dealer in that they can work around them on purchase price. The dealer will already get a percent of the sales (motorcycles are traditionally not a high margin item...certainly not as high as automobiles in almost all case...not sure about Harley's margin). The dealers in my area all vary on what they charge for new bike sales. Some tack on the setup fees, others do not. Some charge the destination fees, a couple forgo that also...usually you can try to factor the cost of such fees in to negotiate around the total purchase price. In the current economic times for motorcycle dealers you could walk away and try another dealer if they are too rigid on such things I would think.

Phil

The key is negotiate the best price...and do NOT let them run the credit check and such UNTIL you have your best and final. Oft times they will use that "ploy" to add stuff in addition to what you agree on, and that is seen by the "Big Three" handlers on your credit report score even if you do not buy the bike.

Back