free website stats program Dead Speedometer | Harley Davidson Forums

Dead Speedometer

captzeno

I am new to the forum though not new to motorcycles and this is my first Sportster. I bought it as a second hand "basket case" from a local guy who had put it all back together and for the most part got it in good running condition. It started life as an 883 but has been punched out to 1200. When I bought the bike it had no speedo and I bought one off of ebay (used) advertised in working condition when removed. All of the harness and plugs are attached and look to be in good shape. I hooked it all up and the speedo is not getting any power. The neutral light comes on which tells me that there is juice going somewhere but no odometer and no zero on the speedo. It just sits stuck at thirty mph. Any ideas??

Being as the bike is fairly new model, speedometer is probably electronic, and is run off the ECM (Electronic Control Module) which pulses the ignition system as well. I do not have a copy of the schematic...but may want to look here:

tn204s3.jpg

tn205s3.jpg

the speedo on my 2005 Sportster did not work, when i got the bike, but the neutral light did. on my bike, they use two different fuses. a big indicator, for me, was the lack of a back light on the speedo. is your speedo lit up and just not working? or is it not lit or working? if it's not lit up, you might have the same problem i did - a blown fuse.

No backlight, not a thing.

Think I'm on to something. I have learned that the speedo on an 02 is fused through the turnsignal control module (oddly enough) and I know that I have a bad TCM. A turnsignal wire was pinched after reassembling the bike after painting. I lost the signals and the brake light and looks like the speedo also. It's got a Badlands module in it, got one on order, see what happens. Thanks for your comments and input.

Last edited by a moderator:
The speedo went out on my 2005 sporty, I traced it back to the main connector plug after checking everything "easy" I recall the plug as being a 9 pin plug, not positive, but the connector pins "male pins" were corroded bad. I wired around the faulty pin and cleaned the rest. I also used a dielectric paste to coat the remaining pins. Good Luck J.P.B.

Back