free website stats program Dead in the water | Harley Davidson Forums

Dead in the water

dave101

I have screaming eagle 1200 sportster. I went to start it yesterday and it turned over good three times. I stopped to double check pitcock and tried again. It did nothing. No lights, horn, starter, nothing. Checked main fuse and voltage to starter solenoid, ok. Ground cable tight on both ends. It's like not having a battery connected but battery checks 12.8 volts.
Any help accepted, miss my ride.
Dave101

Never heard of a SE sportster, must be a rare one :s

Remove the battery cables from the battery, clean them and reinstall them. Also check the other ends of the cables too.

Tried run switch,engine doesn't turn over and hear no click. no headlights,oil light,turn signal or horn. nothing. voltage reads to starter post. checked ground.

Hi Dave;

Welcome to the forum.

A little more information would help such as the year of the bike and what modifications have been done.

Did you make any modifications just prior to this problem? Have any issues before that might be related?

Jake

It's a 2002 1200 sportster. No modifications since owned. It turned over 3 times before I stopped to double check pitcock.Tried starting again, wouldn't turn over.Noticed indicator lights out. Tried turn signals and horn, nothing. Checked key switch to make sure its on,was on. Checked battery,12.8 volts. Main fuse reads continuity. Voltage down to starter,12.8. Its been cover for about 2 weeks since last ride. First thing I checked was kill switch. Tried shifting gears still no neutral light or horn. It's like the battery is total dead.

Id say turn everything on, and try a rolling jump start...Works in cars, so my guess is it could possibly work to at least get it started.

Hi Dave;

Assuming you cleaned the battery terminals as Glider suggested, go back to the fuse and check across the terminals that the fuse plugs into for voltage. This should read the same as the battery. If there is corrosion on the sockets that the main fuse goes into, this may be your problem.

If this proves to be ok, then move up the circuit to the key switch. With the key on, you should have 12 volts coming out of the switch, if not.. you may have the culprit.

Also remove the battery and take to a battery shop and have it checked. It's very possible to show 12 volts and have no starting power at all.

Good luck

Jake

Back