dead bike on 2004 sportster

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by aarionlee, Sep 23, 2014.

1. aarionlee

aarionlee New Member

I bought a bad boy air horn for my bike. The package said hook it to your existing horn wires. I did this (without reading the instructions) the horn I blew a couple3 3 times sounded like crap switched the wires tried it again same thing. Tried the horn on my car worked fine. After reading the instructions there is a relay that has to be installed with the horn. I called the yhorn company and they had no answers for me. THE PROBLEM: When I turn my key on accessory the speedometer lights up no headlights, when I turn the key to run everything goes dead. I took the battery out and put it on charge overnight, checked all the fuses under the seat, and it is still dead. When I hook the battery charger/starter to the bike I get power when the key is in the run position but the starter just clicks. Also the light on the speedometer surges with the charger hooked to the bike. Am I missing a fuse somewhere that may be hid or could I have shorted out a relay? as I said all fuses including the big maxi fuse is good. Got a big riding weekend this weekend, and need to get back on the road as quick as possible. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

Ouch!! Do you have a electrical diagram for the bike. Its possible the draw of the horn may have caused other problems and possibly melted harness.

3. aarionlee

aarionlee New Member

I took off the tank. I have a diagram in the process now of seeing what is what. There is one harness connection under the tank I unplugged it and now getting power when key is in the run position. Just won't roll over acts like an almost dead battery when I hit the starter switch. going to try and figure out what those wires are, I would say it's in there somewhere. I guess my road name of gremlin suits me. lol

4. aarionlee

aarionlee New Member

Battery terminal is cracked and battery failed a load test. getting a new one tomorrow and got my fingers crossed.:)

5. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

This would be a great ending to a sudden problem.. Maybe the power of the horn put the battery over the edge......:s

6. aarionlee

aarionlee New Member

Exactly what happened. New battery fixed the problem been running over a week no problems.:D lesson learned, always read instructions first. Battery was weak.