free website stats program Dead Battery | Harley Davidson Forums

Dead Battery

Hacker

My battery dies in less than 8hrs.

I recently replaced the stator, voltage reg and battery. The new battery dies in less than 8 hrs.

I did the milliamp draw test that is in my manual. I am getting 1.6 mA when I start the test and after a min or 2 it drops to 0.80 mA.

The question I have is that a normal reading to get. The manual is not really clear to what is a passing mA test.

I sure that I have a short or closed circuit somewhere.

did you charge the battery fully after it was drained? how did you perform the ma draw test? if the battery is drained in under 8hrs you have way more than .80ma draw.

If you have a volt ohm meter, you can put that on the battery and start pulling fuses. If you pull a fuse and the battery voltage jumps up, then that is probably a good system to look at for your short.

Take care,
Dave

@bc45, Yes, the battery was fully charged before performing the mA test. I use my DMM and put it in series with the battery.

Like I stated at the beginning of this post, I get 1.6 mA at the start of the test and after a min or 2 it drops to .8 mA. I'm assuming that it is dropping do to the TSSM arming and disarming.

My main concern is whether the readings I am getting is a pass or fail. This way I know which path to follow in the manual.

Again thanks for any advise, I greatly appreciate it.

@Taildraggerdave, I am going to that route day.

1.6 to .8ma is well within spec should not cause a good battery to go dead. I think that the 1.6 then dropping to .8 is a module going into sleep mode.

Read the link Jack gave you.

If you put a DVOM on volts in series it will read Batt voltage even if you dont have a draw because they are low impedance.

Back